John H. Zimmerman
My primary research activities are focused on development, evaluation, and verification of methodologies for collection, transportation, and analysis of VOCs in soils, water and air. I also provide laboratory, field support and evaluation/auditing of analytical data collected in support of environmental monitoring and site characterization research projects within the U.S. EPA.
Name: John H. Zimmerman
Title: Research Physical Scientist
Contact Info:Environmental Sciences Division / Characterization and Monitoring Branch
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
P.O. Box 93478
Las Vegas, Nevada 89193
- M.S. in Water Resource Management, 2009, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- B.A. in Chemistry, 1995, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Supervisory Physical Scientist, U.S. EPA, Las Vegas, NV June 2010 - Present
- Research Physical Scientist, U.S. EPA, Las Vegas, NV, 2002 – June 2010
- Senior Scientist, Lockheed Martin, Las Vegas, NV, 1998 – June 2002
- Senior Scientist, Lockheed Martin, Richmond, CA, 1996 – 1998
- Production Lab Chemist, Lockheed Martin, Las Vegas, NV, 1995 – 1996
- Research Lab Chemist, Lockheed Martin, Las Vegas, NV, 1990 – 1995
- Field Technician, Lockheed Martin, Las Vegas, NV, 1987 – 1990
Awards and Honors:
- 2010 Certificate of Appreciation, in recognition of dedication and service in support of the Nation’s response to the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill
- 2008 EPA Silver Medal for Superior Service, for standardizing and streamlining environmental laboratories’ ability to respond to homeland security incidents requiring the analysis of large number of samples in a short time.
- 2009 Individual Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards, 2009 (2)
- 2007 Individual Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards
- 2006 Individual Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards
- 2005 Individual Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards
- 2004 Individual Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards
- 2003 Individual Superior Accomplishment Recognition Awards
Publications and Presentations (1999 - Present) / (These are from ORD Science Inventory)
- Uppencamp, R., C.C. Lutes, B. Cosky, L. Abreu, B. Schumacher, J. Zimmerman, R. Tuesdale, 2011. Assessing Vapor Intrusion Temporal and Spatial Variability in a Historic Urban Duplex. 1st International Symposium on Bioremediation and Sustainable Environmental Technologies, Reno, NV
Schumacher, B.A., J.H. Zimmerman, R.Truesdale, H.Heyes, C.Lutes, B. Cosky, L. Abreu, R. Uppencamp, 2011. Intensive Study of VOCs and Radon in a Historic Duplex – A First Look, Association for Environmental Health and Sciences Foundation 21st Annual International Conference on Soil, Water, Energy, and Air, San Diego, CA
- Schumacher, B., J. Zimmerman, G. Swanson, J. Elliot, B. Hartman, 2010. Field Observations on Ground Covers/Buildings, Association for Environmental Health and Sciences Foundation 20th Annual International Conference on Soil, Water, Energy, and Air, San Diego, CA
- Swanson, G., J. Elliot, B. Schumacher, J. Zimmerman, B. Hartman, 2009. Sub-slab vs. Near-slab Soil Vapor Profiles at a Chlorinated Solvent Site. National Forum on Vapor Intrusion, Philadelphia, PA
- Hartman, B. B.A. Schumacher, J.H. Zimmerman, D.S. Springer, R.J. Elliott, and M.C. Rigby. 2007. Results of EPA Funded Research Programs on the Importance of Purge Volume, Sample Volume, Sample Flow Rate, and Temporal Variations on Soil Gas Concentrations. Air & Waste Management Association Conference. Providence, RI
- Schumacher, B.A., J.H. Zimmerman, and J. Nocerino. 2005. Innovations in Soil Sampling and Data Analysis. Land BOSC review. Cincinnati, OH
Zimmerman, J.H. and B.A. Schumacher, 2005. Development of a Systematic Approach To Accurately Measure Trace Levels of VOCs and SVOCs In Soil and Sediment with High Moisture Content, EPA Science Forum, Washington D.C.
- Schumacher, B.A. and J.H. Zimmerman, 2004. Composite Sampling for Soil VOC Analysis. National Environmental Monitoring Conference, Washington D.C.
Zimmerman, J.H. and B.A. Schumacher, 2004. To Purge or Not to Purge? VOC Concentration Changes During Line Volume Purging, Poster presentation at the National Environmental Monitoring Conference, Washington D.C.