Information and Links to USGS Aquatic Resource Programs
Directory of USGS web sites and information: www.usgs.gov/network/
Water Resources of the United States: water.usgs.gov
National Water-Quality Assessment (NAWQA) Program: water.usgs.gov/nawqa/
- Assessing more than 50 river basins and aquifer systems
- Collects and interprets data about water chemistry, hydrology, land use, stream habitat, and aquatic life
- Model-based assessment, not Design-Based (Probability Based Surveys)
National Hydrography Dataset (NHD)
- Comprehensive set of digital spatial data that contains information about surface water features such as lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, springs and wells.
- Surface water features are combined to form "reaches," which provide the framework for linking water-related data to the NHD surface water drainage network.
- Linkages enable the analysis and display of water-related data in upstream and downstream order.
- Based upon the content of USGS Digital Line Graph (DLG) hydrography data integrated with reach-related information from the EPA Reach File Version 3 (RF3).
- The NHD supersedes DLG and RF3 by incorporating them, not by replacing them.
- Users of DLG or RF3 will find the National Hydrography Dataset both familiar and greatly expanded and refined.
- NHD is still under development but data can be downloaded as soon as it has been QA/QC'd.
Availability of data for a specific area can be determined through the web site nhd.usgs.gov