Superfund Innovative Technology Evaluation (SITE)
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
EPA established the Superfund Innovative Technology Evaluation (SITE) Program to fulfill the mandates of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) through technology transfer and other technical assistance for the rapid commercialization of innovative hazardous waste cleanup technologies. SITE was committed to apply sound science to its evaluations of innovative technologies consistent with EPA's goal of using science to inform decisions concerning the protection of human health and the environment. Toward this end, the SITE sought to:
- facilitate acceptance of new technologies by state and federal regulators;
- provide a sound scientific basis for evaluations of technologies;
- provide reliable technology performance information;
- support the use of verified technologies;
- pool resources of federal and private partners; and
- reduce the amount of time required to achieve routine use of effective technologies.
Twenty years later, SITE was one of the nation's premier programs for expanding the implementation of innovative environmental remediation technologies.