||Seminar Publication, Wellhead Protection: A Guide for Small Communities (EPA/625/R-93/002) (155 pp, 16.4 MB) February 1993
This document is designed to help small-community decision makers, utility personnel, and other interested community members. It provides the basic information needed to begin a wellhead protection program. The document:
- Introduces basic concepts about ground water, useful in developing wellhead protection programs
- Discusses the hydrogeologic cycle, types of aquifers, and fundamentals of ground water movement
- Explains how ground water becomes contaminated
- Describes sources of ground water contamination and the potential effects on human health and local economies
- Discusses legislation and regulations designed to protect ground water supplies
- Presents the five steps for developing a wellhead protection program
- Presents case studies, lists of publications, financial assistance programs, and regional resources
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page.
See EPA's PDF page to learn more.