Transportation and Air Quality
National Vehicle & Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL)
EPA's National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL) is located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It is part of EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ). Since its founding, NVFEL has been at the forefront of developing clean automotive technology and designing programs to reduce and prevent air pollution. NVFEL is a state of the art test facility that provides a wide array of dynamometer and analytical testing and engineering services for EPA’s motor vehicle, heavy-duty engine, and nonroad engine programs which:
- certify that vehicles and engines meet federal emissions and fuel economy standards
- test in-use vehicles and engines to assure continued compliance and process required enforcement actions
- analyze fuels, fuel additives, and exhaust compounds
- develop future emission and fuel economy regulations
- research future cost-effective advanced engine and drivetrain technology
- develop laboratory test procedures
Staff at NVFEL are highly trained professionals with backgrounds in automotive technology, engineering, mechanics, statistics, natural resources, and economics. Overall, OTAQ staff is divided between NVFEL in Ann Arbor, MI and the EPA’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. The majority of OTAQ staff work at NVFEL while collaborating with headquarters staff on various shared programs and projects.
NVFEL is proud to be an ISO certified and ISO accredited lab -- ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 17025:2005.
- NVFEL's environmental management system is ISO 14001:2004 certified in recognition of our commitment and initiatives to foster environmental protection while ensuring the health and safety of our employees and visitors. NVFEL was initially certified in 2006 and we maintain that certification. Certificate of Registration (PDF) (2 pp, 1MB) and NVFEL's commitment to its environmental policy (PDF) (1 pp, 25K)
- NVFEL conducts testing of vehicles, engines and fuels under a quality management system that has been accredited for its conformance to ISO/IEC 17025:2005. The accreditation demonstrates the laboratory's technical competence to produce test data that are both accurate and consistent along with the laboratory's commitment to continually improve. This accreditation was initially received in 2012. Scope of Accreditation (PDF) (2 pp, 107K)
In addition, we at NVFEL fully embrace ISO's tenant of continual improvement. We are committed to constantly evaluating and improving our processes for efficiency, effectiveness, and flexibility so that we may continue to maintain a state of the art laboratory and further our efforts to protect human health and the environment.
- NVFEL Library Information
- NVFEL Energy Savings Performance Contract
- OTAQ Organization Chart (PDF) (1 pg, 34K, December 2014, About PDF)