New England Regional Laboratory (NERL)
Total Facility Area: 69,349 gross square feet (GSF)
Estimated Personnel: 82 persons
Energy Consumption: 17,730,592,800 Btu per year
Btu per GSF per Year: 255,672
Total Water Consumption: 1,483,840 gallons per year
Gallons per GSF per Year: 21.4
All energy and water data are reported as of FY 2011.
The Chelmsford facility houses Region 1 and the Office of Environmental Measurement and Evaluation, and conducts chemical and biological laboratory analysis of environmental samples.
Unique Environmental Features
- The laboratory features variable air volume fume hoods and ventilation systems, an active and passive solar design, and extensive recycled material content.
- EPA offsets 100 percent of the electricity consumption at the New England Regional Laboratory with renewable energy certificates (RECs) purchased through the Agency's current blanket green power contract. Learn more about EPA's current and past blanket green power contracts.
- In 2001, EPA installed solar energy-producing window awnings as part of the facility's active and passive solar design. The facility's solar awnings generated 623 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity in fiscal year (FY) 2011.
- In February 2003, the New England Regional Laboratory received LEED® 1.0 Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- EPA completed a revision (PDF) (20 pp, 286K, About PDF) to the laboratory's water management plan in June 2010. The previous plan (PDF) (20 pp, 930K, About PDF) was developed in FY 2003.
- At the Chelmsford laboratory, a stormwater treatment system collects runoff from the site’s parking lot storm drains and separates sediment and oil from stormwater. Water from impervious surfaces flows into an underground chamber, where a vortex enhances gravitational settling of sediment. An oil baffle wall then removes oils and other floatables before treated water is released through a flow control chamber into the stormwater pipe system.
For More Information About This Facility
Learn more about NERL's green building features and operations, including an environmental management system aimed at reducing the laboratory's environmental impacts while operating with greater efficiency and control, by visiting its Green Building Design Page.
Michael Kenyon, Laboratory Director
Phone: (617) 918-8317
Scott Pellerin, Environmental Compliance Lead
Phone: (617) 918-8678
New England Regional Laboratory
11 Technology Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01863-2431