Region 9 Laboratory
Total Facility Area: 44,950 gross square feet (GSF)
Estimated Personnel: 45 persons
FY 2003 Energy Consumption*: 14,893,819,771 Btu per year
FY 2003 Btu per GSF per Year: 331,342
FY 2012 Energy Consumption: 18,122,479,857 Btu per year
FY 2012 Btu per GSF per Year: 403,170; 21.7 percent increase from the baseline
FY 2007 Water Consumption**: 170,544 gallons per year
FY 2007 Gallons per GSF per Year: 3.8
FY 2012 Water Consumption: 331,738 gallons per year
FY 2012 Gallons per GSF per Year: 7.4; 94.5 percent increase from the baseline
All energy and water data are reported as of FY 2012.1
*FY 2003 is the standard baseline year used by the federal government to measure energy conservation progress.
**FY 2007 is the standard baseline year used by the federal government to measure water conservation progress.
The Region 9 Laboratory in Richmond, California, consists of an administration/laboratory building with a separate hazardous materials storage building and secured storage for four mobile laboratories. The building is part of the University of California, Berkeley, Field Station. EPA began laboratory operations in fiscal year (FY) 1994. The Region 9 Laboratory performs chemical and biological analysis and field sampling services. The laboratory plays a critical role in EPA's mission of protecting people's health and the environment through the analysis of air, water, soil and biota samples (avian, fish, and occasionally mammalian tissues).
- Jack Berges, Roberto Gutierrez, and Jennifer Mann won a FY 2010 Waste Warrior Honorable Mention for having the third-highest diversion rate, 82.7 percent, of the EPA facilities that reported waste and recycling data in FY 2010.
Unique Environmental Features
- Through a series of mechanical upgrades, EPA hoped to reduce electricity demand by approximately 21 percent at the Region 9 Laboratory. The project, which was completed in July 2005, included the installation of a natural gas-fired combined heat and power unit for electricity and hot water; replacement of a boiler (two small boilers instead of a single oversized one); and heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) controls upgrades. The project became operational in fall 2005. As of May 2006, the project was not performing as well as anticipated, so EPA initiated a study to determine the cause for the shortfall in anticipated energy savings. In FY 2009, after the facility worked to modify the system to perform correctly, the Region 9 Laboratory’s energy use decreased 10.4 percent and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions decreased 11 percent compared to FY 2008.
- EPA employees at the Region 9 Laboratory are continuously encouraged to turn off lights and computers when not in use.
- EPA offsets 100 percent of the electricity consumption at the Region 9 Laboratory with renewable energy certificates (RECs) purchased through the Agency's blanket green power contract. Learn more about EPA's blanket green power contracts.
- In June 2006, EPA completed a water conservation assessment and developed a water management plan for the Region 9 Laboratory (PDF) (16 pp, 308K, About PDF).
For More Information About This Facility
Jennifer Mann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
1337 S. 46th Street
Richmond, CA 94804
Phone: (510) 412-2300