On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
Benefits of OBD
Many states' vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance programs have already begun using OBD systems to inspect 1996 and newer vehicles. All mandatory inspection and maintenance programs will eventually incorporate OBD. Real world data has shown that the use of OBD for inspecting vehicle emission control systems offers many benefits to the consumer, the technician, and the environment:
- Accurate diagnosis that leads to effective, durable repairs.
- Short inspection time for the public.
- Early vehicle maintenance opportunity, which leads to greater fuel efficiency and reliability.
- Incentive to car manufacturers to produce more durable engines and emission controls.
- Simple and affordable testing method.
- Early detection of potential emission exceedance.
- State-of-the-art evaporative emission detection.