The Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Relations (OCIR) serves as EPA's principal point of contact for Congress, States, and local governments. The Office serves as the liaison with these constituencies on the Agency's major programs as well as on intergovernmental issues.
The Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Relations is comprised of two major offices: The Office of Congressional Affairs, which facilities all legislative activity at EPA; and the Office of Intergovernmental Relations, which facilities interactions between States and local government. A smaller component of OCIR, the Information Management Divison, manages the resources of the Office.
Some of the functions of OCIR include:
- Assist, develop and implement the legislative agenda for the Agency, including legislative initiatives and proposals.
- Lead EPA in the review of legislation; coordinate EPA's formal positions and technical assistance to Congress; and monitor all relevant legislative actions (e.g., bills, reports, regulations) related to EPA Programs.
- Facilitate communication of the Agency's priorities and policies to the Congress.
- Coordinate Agency appearances at Congressional Hearings and manage associated Testimony.
- Lead the development and implementation of the National Environmental Performance Partnership System between EPA and the States.
- Manage and monitor environmental issues with both national associations and individual State and local governments
- Manage the Agency's congressional and gubernatorial correspondence
- Notify Congress of the Agency's grant awards.
Porgrams and projects managed by OCIR
- National Environmental Performance Partnership System
- Local Government Advisory Committee
- Small Community Advisory Subcommittee
Environmental Protection Agency
Ariel Rios Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20460
Laura Vaught, Associate Administrator
Joyce Frank, Principal Deputy Associate Administrator
Phone: (202) 564-5200
The Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Relations includes:
Office of Congressional Affairs
Nichole Distefano, Deputy Associate Administrator
Office of Intergovernmental Relations
Mark Rupp, Deputy Associate Administrator
Information and Management Division
Gwen Whitt, Acting Director
NOTE: The Office of Regional Operations has been reorganized under the Deputy Administrator