Animal Feeding Operations - Education & Training
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
Animal Feeding Operations Highlights
Federal and State information, multimedia resources, educational tools, and other materials for the education and training needs of animal feeding operations.
To learn more about animal production online, please visit Ag 101. This introduction to American agriculture covers the primary commodities produced today and the methods of doing so. Several chapters are dedicated to animal production, including pork production, poultry production, dairy production, and beef production. These chapters cover topics including: production systems, nutrition, manure management, environmental impacts, and disease.
Information from EPA
- Ag 101
- Clean Water Act Online Training
- Livestock and Poultry Environmental Stewardship (LPES) Curriculum
- Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations Guidance Documents
- Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Center - project sponsored by CSREES and dedicated to the vision that individuals involved in public policy issues, animal production, and delivery of technical services for confined animal systems should have on-demand access to the nation's best science-based resources.
- U.S. Pork Center of Excellence
- NRCS Animal Waste Management (AWM) Software Planning Tool - AWM is a planning/design tool for animal feeding operations that can be used to estimate the production of manure, bedding, process water and determine the size of storage/treatment facilities. AWM Software Training video from Extension.org
- Small Farms
Fact Sheet Series (Livestock and Poultry Environmental Stewardship Project)
- Small-Scale Farmers and the Environment: How to be a Good Steward (PDF) (13 pp, 469K)
- Spanish - Small-Scale Farmers and the Environment: How to be a Good Steward (Cómo proteger el medio ambiente en los ranchos y granjas pequeños) (PDF) (15 pp, 472K)
- The ABCs of Pasture Grazing (PDF) (12 pp, 525K)
- Spanish - The ABCs of Pasture Grazing (El abecé del pastoreo) (PDF) (14 pp, 514K)
- Manure on Your Farm: Asset or Liability? (PDF) (11 pp, 435K)
- Protecting the Water on Your Small Farm (PDF) (9 pp, 389K)
- Managing Animal Deaths: Your Options (PDF) (10 pp, 530K)
- Got Barnyard Runoff? (PDF) (11 pp, 459K)
- A Horse Owner’s Guide to Good Stewardship (PDF) (11 pp, 476K)
- Need a Vegetative Treatment System for Your Barnyard or Lot? (PDF) (14 pp, 464K)
- The ABCs of Livestock Watering Systems (PDF) (12 pp, 448K)
- The ABCs of Electric Livestock Fencing (PDF) (12 pp, 578K)
- Nutrient Management–SIMPLIFIED! (PDF) (10 pp, 380K)
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities
- MidWest Plan Service (MWPS) - a university-based publishing cooperative dedicated to publishing and disseminating research-based, peer-reviewed, practical, and affordable publications that support the outreach missions of the 12 North Central Region land-grant universities plus the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- University of Illinois
- Illinois Certified Livestock Manager Training
- University of Minnesota
Manure and Odor Education and Research
Animal Housing and Livestock Systems
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Extension
4H Virtual Farm Tours