PRP Search Manual
The 2009 "PRP Search Manual" provides guidance on how to search for potentially responsible parties (PRPs) that may be liable for cleanup at a Superfund site.
In November 2011, an addendum to the manual was issued to inform users of three guidance documents, issued after publication of the manual, that focus primarily on: (a) documentation of completed PRP search activities in certain situations related to cost recovery; and (b) the definition and tracking of "Preliminary PRP Search Completion" in EPA's Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Information System (CERCLIS).
The manual, divided into four chapters, 13 appendices, and one addendum, gives the user historical background on Superfund and its enforcement program and describes the planning stages, baseline tasks and followup tasks for conducting effective PRP searches. Procedures and information contained in the manual are based on current EPA policy and guidance.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Each chapter contains a reference guide to the statutory, regulatory, and policy and guidance documents described in the manual. The appendices provide copies of several policy and guidance documents, as well as contact information, checklists and other information resources.
Additional information is available from the Superfund cleanup policy and guidance database on finding and gathering potentially responsible parties.
Page and Table of Content (PDF), (11pp, 13.6MB),
Contains Cover Page, transmittal memorandum, acknowledgements, disclaimer,
and table of contents.
Chapter 1: Overview of CERCLA and PRP Searches (PDF), (42pp, 1.06MB), Chapter One contains a brief history of CERCLA and its enforcement program, explains the concept of "enforcement first."
Chapter 2: PRP Search Planning Overivew (PDF), (42pp, 698KB), Planning for the PRP search is an integral part of the search itself and involves all members of the PRP search team. Chapter Two discusses the planning process, including contracting considerations, timing, and document management.
3: Baseline PRP Searches (PDF), (121pp,
823KB), Certain searches are
conducted at every Superfund site. This chapter outlines
the baseline tasks for conducting PRP searches.
Chapter 4: Follow-up PRP Search (PDF), (42pp, 967KB), Followup tasks are often necessary to complete the PRP search. This chapter discusses what the followup tasks are and how to determine which are needed.
Appendices (PDF), (171pp, 1.94MB), Contains 14 appendices providing copies of policy and guidance documents, contact information, checklists, on-line information resources, acronyms, abbreviations, and a glossary.
- Performance Work Statement for Enforcement Support Services (55pp, 989KB)
- Checklist of PRP Search Tasks (PDF) (10pp, 881KB)
- Checklist for Removal/Pre-Remedial Sites (PDF) (6pp, 840KB)
- Quick Reference Guide for Using CERCLIS/WasteLAN (PDF) (9pp, 876KB)
- List of Team Members for the PRP Search Enhancement Team (PDF) (1 page, 769KB)
- Potentially Responsible Party Internet Information Sources (PRPIIS), Appendix 6 revised (PDF) (32pp, 387KB), revised April 2012
- Individual Ability to Pay Claim - Financial Data Request Form (PDF) (6pp, 790KB)
- Ability to Pay Individual Request for Information (PDF) (2pp, 771K)
- Individual Ability to Pay Claim - Financial Data Request Form (PDF) (10pp, 866KB)
- Financial Disclosure Statement To Be Completed By Individual Defendant (PDF) (18pp, 1.11M)
- Acronyms and Abbreviations (PDF) (7pp, 781KB)
- Glossary (PDF) (14pp, 849KB)
- Chapter References (PDF) (10pp, 822KB)
Addendum - November 2011 (PDF) (22pp, 611K), Describes three attached guidance documents that address PRP search issues which were issued after publication of the 2009 manual. The guidance documents focus primarily on: (a) documentation of completed PRP search activities in certain situations related to cost recovery; and (b) the definition and tracking of "Preliminary PRP Search Completion" in EPA's Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Information System (CERCLIS).