Policy & Guidance
- EPA Testimony on Environmental Justice
- Environmental Justice Assessment Tools
- Implementation of Environmental Justice into EPA Programs
- EPA Inspector General Reports on Environmental Justice
- Environmental Justice Executive Order
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more."Environmental Justice and the Toxics Release Inventory Reporting Program: Communities Have a Right to Know" (PDF) (9 pp, 41K) - Testimony of Granta Nakayama, former Assistant Administrator for Enforcement and Compliance Assurance before the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Environment and Hazardous Materials (October 4, 2007).
- "Oversight of EPA's Environmental Justice Programs" (PDF) (10 pp, 57K) - Testimony of Granta Nakayama, former Assistant Administrator for Enforcement and Compliance Assurance before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, Subcommittee on Superfund and Environmental Health (July 25, 2007).
- The Environmental Justice Strategic Enforcement Assessment Tool (EJSEAT) identifies areas with potential environmental justice concerns.
- Toolkit for Assessing Potential Allegations of Environmental Injustice (PDF) (167 pp, 1.4MB), serves as a reference guide to assist Agency personnel in assessing potential allegations of environmental injustice and to provide a framework for understanding national policy on environmental justice. An abridged desk reference (PDF) (12 pp, 2.6MB) for the EJ Toolkit is also available.
- EPA Tribal and Indigenous Peoples Environmental Justice Policy - A policy to help EPA address their environmental justice concerns of federally-recognized tribes and indigenous stakeholders more effectively.
- Plan EJ 2014 - a plan to strengthen efforts to integrate environmental justice into its programs and promote continuous, meaningful engagement with communities and stakeholders.
- Interim Guidance on Considering Environmental Justice During the Development of an Action (July 2010)
- In the memo Strengthening EPA's Environmental Justice Program (PDF) (2 pp, 890K), former Administrator Johnson directed EPA's National Program Managers and Regions to conduct Environmental Justice Reviews PDF (3 pp, 207K) (June 9, 2008).
- In the memo EPA's
Commitment to Environmental Justice (PDF) (2 pp, 3.6MB), former Administrator Johnson outlines the Agency's
commitment to Environmental Justice and its integration into
all programs, policies, and activities (November 3, 2005).
-En Espanol (PDF) (2 pp, 24K)
- Office of General Counsel memo EPA
Statutory and Regulatory Authorities Under Which Environmental
Justice Issues May Be Addressed in Permitting (PDF) (14 pp,
122K) (December 1, 2000)
- EPA's Final Guidance
For Incorporating Environmental Justice Concerns in EPA's
NEPA Compliance Analyses (PDF) (76 pp,
304K) (April 1998)
- CEQ's Environmental
Justice Guidance Under the National Environmental Policy Act (PDF) (40 pp, 2.4MB) (December 1997)
- EPA's 1996 Environmental
Justice Implementation Plan (PDF) (26 pp,
- "EPA Needs to Conduct Environmental Justice Reviews of Its Programs, Policies, and Activities" (PDF) (22 pp, 212K)
- EPA Office of the Inspector General report on the EPA's Environmental Justice Program (September 18, 2006).
- Response to Final Evaluation Report: EPA Needs to Conduct Environmental Justice Reviews of Its Programs, Policies, and Activities (PDF) (3 pp, 207K) - Memorandum in response to the Inspector General's (IG) evaluation report issued by the Deputy Administrator (December 18, 2006).
- "EPA Needs to Consistently Implement the Intent of the Executive Order on Environmental Justice" (PDF) (75 pp, 664K) - EPA Office of the Inspector General report on EPA's Environmental Justice Program (March 1, 2004).
- On June 7, 2004, the Acting Deputy Administrator issued a Memorandum to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) in response to the report: EPA's Response to the Inspector General's Report on Environmental Justice (PDF) (28 pp, 180K); Attachment A - Responses to the OIG's Evaluation Report (included); and
Attachment B - Environmental Justice Program Comprehensive Management Study (PDF) (44 pp, 526K)
EPA's Environmental Justice
Strategy (PDF) (21 pp, 104K);
developed in response to EO 12898 (April 1995)
- Presidential Executive Order
12898 (PDF) - (6 pp, 123K)
Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority
Populations and Low-Income Populations (February 1994)
- President's Cover Memorandum
for Executive Order 12898 (PDF) (2 pp,
45K) (February 1994)