Federal Reading Rooms
At Federal Reading Rooms, you may access Off-Site Consequence Analysis (scenarios) portions of Risk Management Plans (RMPs), as described below. RMP Information without Off-Site Consequence Analysis is available on request.
- What Should I Expect to Happen When I Arrive at the Federal Reading Room?
- Do I need to make an appointment to visit a Federal Reading Room?
- Do all Federal Reading Rooms provide the same information?
- Who supports the Federal Reading Rooms?
- Where are Federal Reading Rooms located?
You should familiarize yourself with the following procedures:
- You may read and take notes of Offsite Consequences Analysis (OCA) information. However, you may not remove, photocopy, or otherwise mechanically reproduce OCA Information.
- You may access OCA information for up to 10 facilities per calendar month, without geographic restriction. To do this you must show photo identification issued by a Federal, State, or local government agency such as a driver's license or passport. You will also be asked to sign a certification on a sign-in sheet.
- You may also access OCA information for all of the facilities that are located in or potentially impact the jurisdiction of the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) where you live or work. To access local information, you must provide appropriate documentation showing where you live or work and your address and your signature on a sign-in sheet.
There are two types of Federal Reading Rooms:
1.) A "By-Appointment" Reading Room requires you to set up an appointment and request OCA Information from specific facilities several days in advance, so that paper copies can be printed and delivered from elsewhere.
2.) A "Walk-In" Reading Room generally provides access during its office hours. However, even for a walk-in Reading Room, it is best to call ahead. This lets you confirm its availability and learn of any site-specific requirements, and it gives the Reading Room a chance to prepare for your visit.
All Federal Reading Rooms can provide you the same information.
Some reading rooms are supported by EPA; the others are the responsibility of the Department of Justice.
The Federal Reading Room locations are listed below. If you have any problems contacting an EPA Federal Reading Rooms, please call the Superfund, TRI, EPCRA, RMP & Oil Information Center.
- Alabama – DOJ (Montgomery, Mobile)
- Alaska – EPA & DOJ (Anchorage)
- Arizona – DOJ (Phoenix, Flagstaff)
- Arkansas – DOJ (Fort Smith)
- California – EPA (San Francisco) & DOJ (San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego)
- Colorado – EPA (Denver)
- District of Columbia – EPA
- Florida – DOJ (Tallahassee, Orlando, Ft. Myers, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa)
- Georgia – EPA (Atlanta) & DOJ (Atlanta, Macon, Savannah)
- Hawaii – DOJ (Honolulu)
- Illinois – EPA (Chicago) & DOJ (Chicago, Springfield, East St. Louis)
- Indiana – DOJ (South Bend)
- Iowa – DOJ (Cedar Rapids)
- Kansas – EPA (Kansas City) & DOJ (Topeka)
- Kentucky – DOJ (Lexington)
- Louisiana – DOJ (Baton Rouge, Shreveport)
- Maine – DOJ (Portland)
- Maryland – DOJ (Baltimore)
- Massachusetts – EPA & DOJ (Boston)
- Michigan – DOJ (Grand Rapids)
- Mississippi – DOJ (Oxford)
- Missouri – EPA (Kansas City) & DOJ (Kansas City, St, Louis)
- Nebraska – DOJ (Omaha)
- Nevada – DOJ (Las Vegas)
- New Jersey – EPA (Edison) & DOJ (Newark)
- New York – DOJ (Utica, Brooklyn, New York)
- North Carolina – DOJ (Raleigh, Greensboro, Asheville)
- Ohio – EPA (Cincinnati) & DOJ (Cleveland, Columbus)
- Oklahoma – DOJ (Tulsa, Muskogee)
- Pennsylvania – EPA (Philadelphia) & DOJ (Philadelphia, Scranton, Pittsburgh)
- South Dakota – DOJ (Sioux Falls)
- Tennessee – DOJ (Knoxville, Memphis)
- Texas – EPA (Dallas) & DOJ (Dallas, Beaumont, Houston, San Antonio)
- Vermont – DOJ (Burlington)
- Virgin Islands – EPA & DOJ (St. Thomas)
- Washington – EPA (Seattle) & DOJ (Seattle, Spokane)
- West Virginia – DOJ (Clarksburg, Charleston)
- Wisconsin – DOJ (Madison)
- Wyoming – DOJ (Cheyenne)
EPA Federal Reading Rooms
Federal Building, U.S. EPA
Federal Building Room 537
222 West 7th Avenue #19
Anchorage, AK 99513-7588
U.S. EPA Region 9
75 Hawthorne St. (SFD-9-3)
San Francisco, CA 94105-3901
Sacramento: Department of Justice Reading Room
U.S. EPA Region 8
1595 Wynkoop Street
Denver, CO 80202-1129
Type: Walk-in. However, it is best to call first in order to process and print the requests in a timely manner.
U.S. EPA West Building
1301 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20460
U.S. EPA Region 4
Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center
61 Forsyth Street
Atlanta, GA 30303
U.S. EPA Region 5
U.S. EPA 77 West Jackson Blvd.
6th Floor South
Chicago, IL 60604
U.S. EPA Region 7
Air, RCRA & Toxics Division, Chemical Information Branch
901 North 5th Street
Kansas City, KS 66101
U.S. EPA Region 1 Library
5 Post Office Square
Suite 100 LIB01-2
Boston, MA 02109-3912
National Preparedness Division Administrative and Planning Branch
9221 Ward Parkway, Suite 300
Kansas City, MO 64114
U.S. EPA Superfund Record Center
2890 Woodbridge Avenue
Edison, NJ 08837
U.S. EPA AWBERC Library
26 West Martin Luther King Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268
Cleveland: Department of Justice Reading Room
U.S. EPA Region 3
1650 Arch Street, 2nd floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
HOURS: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, M-F
U.S. EPA Region 6
1445 Ross Avenue
Dallas, TX 75202
Houston: Department of Justice Reading Room
Charlotte, Amalie, St. Thomas
Note: Contact Edison, NJ for St. Thomas office information
Address: (Check-in at the 14th floor service center on day of appointment)
U.S. EPA Region 10
1200 Sixth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101