Environmental Response Laboratory Network (ERLN)
2013 US EPA ERLN READINESS EXERCISE (ERE)
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Environmental Response Laboratory Network (ERLN) Readiness Exercise is currently underway. The purpose of the exercise is to assess ERLN analytical resources and to simulate an ERLN notification process to member laboratories during an environmental response.
A staged approach will be implemented for the exercise, using this site to indicate the status of each stage (e.g., active, inactive, complete). A notification email will be sent by an EPA representative to initiate Stage 1 via the Compendium of Environmental Testing Laboratories (CETL). Laboratories that successfully complete Stage 1 of the exercise will be invited to participate in Stage 2.
Thank you in advance for your participation!
If you require additional technical assistance, please use one of the following points of contact:
- ERLN Operations Liaison
Name: Schatzi Fitz-James
Phone: (202) 564-2521
- ERLN Helpdesk, for technical information related to CETL and WebEDR, including password and profile related questions.
Phone: (703) 818-4200
- Exercise Facilitator
Name: Osborne Jackson, CSC (EPA contractor)
Phone: (703) 818-4130
First Deadline – Laboratory will provide EPA with the following information by April 17, 6:00 p.m. local time:
- Assess and confirm analytical and staffing capacity for the next 60 days specifically for the following service areas located within the laboratory.
- Chemistry – Inorganic
- Chemistry – Organic
Second Deadline – Laboratory completes the following information by April 23, 6:00 p.m. local time:
- Update laboratory profile in the EPA Compendium of Environmental Testing Laboratories (CETL) (www.epa.gov/compendium)
- Review ERLN Laboratory Requirements document and Requirements for ERLN Data Submissions document (refer to Resources section below)
- Confirm and/or apply for at least one active WebEDR laboratory user account (http://webedr.fedcsc.com)
Laboratories that successfully complete Stage 1 activities and have a Basic Ordering Agreement (BOA) with the ERLN will be invited to participate in Stage 2 of this exercise. The Exercise Plan for Stage 2 will be posted when this stage is “active.”
Deadline(s) – TBD
Stage 2 may consist of one or more of the following activities:
- Providing analytical capability and capacity information for specific analyses
- Electronic data submission in accordance with the Requirements for ERLN Data Submissions document
Laboratories that do not currently have a BOA with the ERLN are encouraged to begin the process. Please contact, Schatzi Fitz-James (firstname.lastname@example.org) the ERLN Operations Liaison to inquire further about the BOA process. Without a BOA, EPA will not be able to access and reimburse ERLN/WLA member laboratories during an emergency, nationally significant incident or on a non-emergency basis.
To expedite the confirmation that a laboratory has completed key parts of each exercise stage, a laboratory representative will respond via an interactive electronic .pdf form. The forms for each of the exercise stages have been color coded for your convenience. Stage 1 – Blue and Stage 2 – Green.
- Stage 1 Response Form Part A (1 p, 351K, about PDF)
- Stage 1 Response Form Part B (1 p, 353K, about PDF)
- Stage 2 Response Form Part A – available when Stage 2 is active
- Stage 2 Response Form Part B – available when Stage 2 is active
The resources and links below are documents and files the laboratory will need to reference or review during the exercise.
- US EPA Environmental Response Laboratory Network (ERLN) Laboratory Requirements Document, Version 1.6 (PDF) (38 pp, 274K, about PDF)
- US EPA Requirements for Environmental Response Laboratory Network (ERLN) Data Submissions, Version 1.5 (PDF) (127 pp, 1.5M, about PDF)
Compendium of Environmental Testing Laboratories (CETL)
Extensive help documentation is provided for the web application. The guide below is provided as additional information for entering or updating laboratory information in CETL.
Web–based Electronic Data Review (WebEDR)
Extensive help documentation is provided for the web application on the website. The following documents are provided as additional information for uploading and submitting EDDs to WebEDR.
- 2013 ERE – WebEDR Quick Reference Guide (PDF) (2 pp, 141K, about PDF)
- ERLN Type 2 Document Type Definition (DTD)
- Example ERLN Type 2 Electronic Data Deliverable
Disclaimer: Laboratories that are unable to produce XML EDDs must contact the ERLN Helpdesk for alternative EDD instructions.
- US EPA Office of Emergency Management
- US EPA ERLN
A brief summary document outlining overall results will be posted here following the completion of the 2013 ERLN Readiness exercise.