Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation
The Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation (OSRTI) is located within the Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (OSWER). OSRTI manages the Superfund program, which was created to protect citizens from the dangers posed by abandoned or uncontrolled hazardous waste sites. Congress established Superfund in 1980 by passing the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA statute, CERCLA overview). CERCLA, as amended, gives the Federal government the authority to respond to hazardous substance emergencies, and to develop long-term solutions for the nation's most serious hazardous waste problems.
OSRTI is comprised of the following organizational units:
- Immediate Office: The Immediate Office is responsible for overseeing Superfund's programs.
- Divisions/Branches of Expertise: The Divisions/Branches of Expertise support the day-to-day operations of these programs.
- Director: Jim Woolford
- Deputy Director: Monica Gardner
Divisions/Branches of Expertise
Resources Management Division
- Budget, Planning & Evaluation Branch
- Contract Management Branch
- Human Resources Branch
- Information Management Branch
- Analytical Services Branch
- Technology Integration and Information Branch
- Technology Assessment Branch
- Environmental Response Team
Assessment & Remediation Division
- Site Assessment and Remedy Decisions Branch
- Community Involvement and Program Initiatives Branch
- Construction and Post-Construction Management Branch
- Science Policy Branch