Public Comment Process
The public has the opportunity to comment on the EPA's proposed addition of seven sites (Current NPL Updates: New Proposed & New Final NPL Sites) to the National Priorities List (NPL). The EPA publishes notices in the Federal Register, listing which sites are being proposed to the NPL. The documents that form the basis for the EPA's evaluation and scoring of the sites in this proposed rule are contained in public dockets located at the EPA Headquarters in Washington, DC, and in the regional offices. These documents are also available by electronic access at Regulations.gov (http://www.regulations.gov).
The EPA considers all comments received during a 60-day comment period following the publication date in the Federal Register. During the comment period, comments are placed in the Headquarters Docket and are available to the public on an "as received" basis. A complete set of comments will be available for viewing in the regional dockets approximately one week after the formal comment period closes.
Comments that include complex or voluminous reports, or materials prepared for purposes other than HRS (Introduction to the HRS) scoring, should point out the specific information that the EPA should consider and how it affects individual HRS factor values or other listing criteria. The EPA will not address voluminous comments that are not referenced to the HRS or other listing criteria. The EPA will not address comments unless they indicate which component of the HRS documentation record or what particular point in the EPA's stated eligibility criteria is at issue. Significant comments are typically addressed in a support document that the EPA will publish concurrently with the Federal Register document if, and when, the site is listed on the NPL.
The Headquarters docket contains the following for the sites proposed in this rule:
- HRS score sheets;
- documentation records describing the information used to compute the score;
- information for any sites affected by particular statutory requirements or the EPA listing policies; and
- a list of documents referenced in the documentation record.
The regional dockets for this proposed rule contain all of the information in the Headquarters docket plus the actual reference documents containing the data principally relied upon and cited by the EPA in calculating or evaluating the HRS score for the sites. These reference documents are available only in the regional dockets.
The hours of operation for the Headquarters docket are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. Please contact the regional dockets for hours.
The visiting address for the Headquarters Superfund Docket is CERCLA Docket Office, 1301 Constitution Avenue NW, William Jefferson Clinton Building, Room 3334, Washington, DC 20004, 202/566-0276.
The contact information for the regional dockets is as follows:
- Holly Inglis, Region 1 (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT), U.S. EPA, Superfund
Records and Information Center, 5 Post Office Square, Suite 100, Boston, MA 02109-3912; 617/918-1413, Holly Inglis (email@example.com)
- Ildefonso Acosta, Region 2 (NJ, NY, PR, VI), U.S. EPA, 290 Broadway, New York, NY 10007-1866; 212/637-4344, Ildefonso Acosta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lorie Baker (ASRC), Region 3 (DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, WV), U.S.
EPA, Library, 1650 Arch Street, Mailcode 3HS12, Philadelphia, PA 19103;
215/814-3355, Lorie Baker (email@example.com)
- Jennifer Wendel, Region 4 (AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN), U.S. EPA, 61 Forsyth Street, SW, Mailcode 9T25, Atlanta, GA 30303; 404/562-8799, Jennifer Wendel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Todd Quesada, Region 5 (IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI), U.S. EPA Superfund Division Librarian / SFD Records Manager SRC-7J, Metcalfe Federal Building, 77 West
Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, IL 60604; 312/886-4465, Todd Quesada (email@example.com)
- Brenda Cook, Region 6 (AR, LA, NM, OK, TX), U.S. EPA, 1445 Ross Avenue, Suite 1200,
Mailcode 6SFTS, Dallas, TX 75202-2733; 214/665-7436, Brenda Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Preston Law, Region 7 (IA, KS, MO, NE), U.S. EPA, 11201 Renner Blvd., Mailcode SUPRERNB, Lenexa, KS 66219; 913/551-7097, Preston Law (email@example.com)
- Sabrina Forrest, Region 8 (CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY), U.S. EPA, 1595 Wynkoop Street, Mailcode 8EPR-B, Denver, CO 80202-1129; 303/312-6484, Sabrina Forrest (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sharon Murray, Region 9 (AZ, CA, HI, NV, AS, GU, MP), U.S. EPA, 75 Hawthorne Street, Mailcode SFD 6-1, San Francisco, CA 94105; 415/947-4250, Sharon Murray (email@example.com)
- Ken Marcy, Region 10 (AK, ID, OR, WA), U.S. EPA, 1200 6th Avenue, Mailcode ECL-112, Seattle, WA 98101; 206/463-1349, Ken Marcy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The following table lists the proposed sites and their Docket Identification Numbers:
Docket Identification Numbers By Site
|Site Name||City/County, State||Docket ID Number|
|PCE Former Dry Cleaner||Atlantic, IA||EPA-HQ-SFUND-2015-0573||Old American Zinc Plant||Fairmont City, IL||EPA-HQ-SFUND-2015-0574||West Vermont Drinking Water Contamination||Indianapolis, IN||EPA-HQ-SFUND-2015-0575||SBA Shipyard||Jennings, LA||EPA-HQ-SFUND-2015-0576||Iowa-Nebraska Light & Power Co||Norfolk, NE||EPA-HQ-SFUND-2015-0578||Former Kil-Tone Company||Vineland, NJ||EPA-HQ-SFUND-2015-0579||Lea and West Second Street||Roswell, NM||EPA-HQ-SFUND-2015-0580|
Submit your comments, identified by Docket ID No. listed above to the Federal eRulemaking Portal (http://www.regulations.gov). Follow the online instructions for submitting comments. Once submitted, comments cannot be edited or withdrawn. The EPA may publish any comment received to its public docket. Do not submit electronically any information you consider to be Confidential Business Information (CBI) or other information whose disclosure is restricted by statute. Multimedia submissions (audio, video, etc.) must be accompanied by a written comment. The written comment is considered the official comment and should include discussion of all points you wish to make. The EPA will generally not consider comments or comment contents located outside of the primary submission (i.e. on the web, cloud, or other file sharing system). For additional submission methods, the full EPA public comment policy, information about CBI or multimedia submissions, and general guidance on making effective comments, please visit Commenting on EPA Dockets.