- CERCLA excludes a limited category of radioactive materials from the statutory definition of "release"
Current EPA policy is not to
list releases of radionuclides from facilities with current license issued directly by the NRC
- NRC is responsible for requiring and overseeing cleanup of
radioactive releases at these sites.
- EPA has authority with NRC for the cleanup of mixed and chemical
waste at such sites.
- NRC is responsible for requiring and overseeing cleanup of radioactive releases at these sites.
- Radionuclides are not part of a separate HRS pathway. Section 7 of the HRS rule contains directions for the HRS factors that must be evaluated differently if radioactive or mixed radioactive wastes are found on the site.
[Slide 1 of 4] [Home]