If at any time you have a question regarding DWA materials, ask an expert by clicking on the picture above.
Catalog of Trainings
Welcome to the Drinking Water Academy’s online training page. To facilitate the learning process, EPA staff is available to answer questions regarding Drinking Water Academy materials through the "Ask an Expert" box on the right.
Our training is broken up into the catagories listed below.
- Introductory / Overview
- National Drinking Water Rules
- Public Water System Supervision Program
- Public Water System Operation
- Source Water Protection Program
- Underground Injection Control Program
- Training in Spainish
- Slides from Past Webcasts
These modules provide a general understanding of Safe Drinking Water Act programs and implementation.
- American Government Roles PDF – A comprehensive explanation of EPA’s function within the federal government which highlights the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act.
- Safe Drinking Water Act 101 – An interactive, behind-the-scenes, approach to understanding the programs, regulations, and people that protect your drinking water.
- Introduction to EPA's Source Water Protection Program PDF – An in depth survey of EPA’s Source Water Protection programs and their legal basis.
- Introduction to the Public Water System Supervision Program PDF – Learn about water systems, the PWSS Program, the roles of PWSS Program participants, regulatory development, and the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations.
- Introduction to the Underground Injection Control Program PDF – An intro to injection wells, the framework of the UIC program, relevant geology, and the challenges facing today’s UIC program.
- Regulating Microbial Contaminants PDF – An overview of microbial contaminants, the health risks they pose, treatment techniques, the SDWA, and 6 year review.
- From Risk to Rule PDF – How EPA develops risk-based drinking water regulations.
- Risk Communication under the Safe Drinking Water Act PDF – Water systems must inform the public of any potential health risk
National Drinking Water Rules
These modules were created to assist regions and states with rule implementation.
- Arsenic Rule – This Web page offers a number of downloads with Arsenic Rule information, tools, compliance help, treatment technologies, and success stories.
- Contaminant Candidate List – Explains the Contaminant Candidate List history, compliance schedule, and regulatory determinations.
- Consumer Confidence Report – This Web page offers implementation instructions and frequently asked questions.
- Lead and Copper Rule – This Web page provides training files regarding the 2000 revisions as well as information and compliance guidelines.
- Radionuclides Rule – An extensive collection of informative files from past Webcasts.
- Regulating Microbial Contaminants - Provides training files covering the following rules:
- Filter Backwash Recycling Rule
- Ground Water Rule
- Interim Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule
- Long Term 1 Surface Water Treatment Rule
- Long Term 2 Surface Water Treatment Rule
- Stage 1 Disinfectant/Disinfection Byproducts Rule
- Stage 2 Disinfectant/Disinfection Byproducts Rule
- Surface Water Treatment Rule
- Total Coliform Rule
Public Water System Supervision Program
These modules were created for state agencies tasked with starting new safe drinking water programs.
- Introduction to the Public Water System Supervision Program PDF | En Español PDF - Learn about water systems, the PWSS Program, the roles of PWSS Program participants, regulatory development, and the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations.
- Assessing Capacity Through Sanitary Surveys Powerpoint File – Learn how to assess technical, financial, and managerial capacity of a water system.
Public Water System Operation
These modules provide information about water systems and water system operation and development.
- Introduction to Capacity Development PDF – An introduction to financial, managerial, and technical capacity development of a water system.
- Developing Financial Capacity PDF – Explore the available methods for assessing financial capacity and learn about the implications of rate revenues for water-service affordability.
- Developing Managerial Capacity PDF – Explains assessment and development of water system management capacity through both structural and nonstructural options.
- Developing Technical Capacity PDF – Covers the methods of assessing technical capacity, the importance of source water and infrastructure adequacy, and the benefits of assessing and maintaining technical capacity.
- Strategic SDWA Compliance for Small Systems PDF – Introduces arsenic compliance tools and explains how to set small drinking water system rates.
- Check Up Program for Small Systems (CUPSS) Supplementary Materials – Provides a series of links and downloadable resources.
- Clean Water Act (CWA) and SDWA Implementation Strategies PDF - See slides 68-81: Ensure the Integrity of Drinking Water Infrastructure.
Source Water Protection Program
Learn how EPA protects source waters from contaminants.
- Introduction to EPA's Source Water Protection Program PDF - An in depth survey of EPA’s Source Water Protection programs and their legal basis.
- Best Management Practices and Other Measures for Protecting Drinking Water Supplies PDF – Discusses the relevant prevention measures for specific sources and provides information for individuals and organizations interested in source protection.
- Delineation of Source Water Areas for Water Supply (Wellhead Analytic Element Model) - A groundwater geohydrology computer program for 98/NT/2K/XP. WhAEM2000 is a public domain, ground-water flow model designed to facilitate capture zone delineation and protection area mapping in support of the State's Wellhead Protection Programs (WHPP) and Source Water Assessment Planning (SWAP) for public water supplies in the United States.
Underground Injection Control Program
These modules provide a background on wells, well permitting, and mandatory Fall-off Testing.
- Introduction to the Underground Injection Control Program PDF - An intro to injection wells, the framework of the UIC program, relevant geology, and the challenges facing today’s UIC program.
- Introduction to UIC Permitting PDF – Designed to acquaint technical personnel with basic permitting components and issues.
- Underground Injection Control Fall-Off Testing PDF – Explains the nuts and bolts of fall-off testing for both the beginner and the seasoned professional.
Slides from Past Webcasts
- Consumer Confidence Report Webcast (2005) PDF File – Contains questions and answers from a May 2005 Webcast.
- Stage 1 Web cast (March 2005) Powerpoint File - Provides a rough outline of the Stage 1 Web Cast
- Surface Water Treatment Rules (Webcast 2005) Powerpoint File – Discusses requirements for most of the Surface Water Treatment Rules and the Filter Backwash Recycling Rule.
- TCR Basics Webcast (2/23/05) Powerpoint File – Explains the federal coliform requirements as of 2004.
- TCR Implementation Web cast (3/23/05) Powerpoint File – A guide to implementation of the Total Coliform Rule.
- Capacity Building Tools for Small Systems (January 2006) – An introduction to arsenic treatment tools and small system budgeting.