You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.This page provides resources for drinking water system owners and operators to assist them in complying with requirements of the Public Notification (PN) rule. Primacy agencies (the entities that regulated drinking water systems) can also find information to assist in PN compliance.
- On this page
For Water System Owners and Operators
EPA developed the PNiWriter to allow water operators or other designated personnel to enter data to generate a public notice that meets federal requirements. The program takes users through the 10 required elements of a public notice and allows users to insert and edit EPA’s recommended text. PNiWriter is a web based applications that requires internet access to use.
- Revised Public Notification Handbook PDF (180 pp, 2M)
816-R-09-013, March 2010
This guide was developed for community water systems and non-transient non-community water systems. It provides instructions and includes templates that can be used for various types of public notices.
- Public Notification Handbook for Transient Non-community Water Systems PDF (112 pp, 1M)
816-R-09-009, March 2010
This guide was developed for transient non-community water systems. It provides instructions and includes templates that can be used for various types of public notices.
- Microsoft Word files of PN templates
These templates can be used and customized by drinking water systems to ensure they meet PN content requirements.
- Washington State Department of Health
The Washington State Department of Health has developed more than 2 dozen translations for informational statements to use on notifications.
- Public Notification Rule: A Quick Reference Guide PDF (2pp, 456K)
- For other quick reference guides visit the drinking water standards - quick reference guides page.
- Fact Sheet: Final Drinking Water Public Notification Regulations
EPA 816-F-00-020, May 2000
- Talking to your Customers about Chronic Contaminants in Drinking Water PDF (2pp, 381K) (About
EPA 814-F-07-022, October 2007
For Primacy Agencies
- Revised State Implementation Guidance for the Public Notification (PN) Rule PDF (69 pp, 2M)
816-R-09-012 March 2010
This guidance document and its appendices contain information that will aid States in implementing the rule and applying for interim primacy.
- Primacy Revision Crosswalk
- Training Materials
This Powerpoint presentation provides guidance to state and EPA staff on how to implement the revised rule.