Class V Regulations
In 1999, EPA added new requirements for large-capacity cesspools and motor vehicle waste disposal wells. The Class V Rule prohibited new large-capacity cesspools and new motor vehicle waste disposal wells nationwide as of April 2000. The rule also phased out existing cesspools nationwide by April 2005. Operators of existing motor vehicle wells in regulated areas must either close their wells or obtain a permit.
- For regulators
- For owners and operators
Background Documents on the Final Rule
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (4 pg, 25K, About PDF)
- Class V Rule - Quick Reference Guide (PDF) (2 pp, 39K, About PDF)
- Class V Final Rule, December 7, 1999
NOTICE: An error appears in the Federal Register notice. Table 1 on page 68571 should show April 5, 2005, as the deadline for closure of existing large-capacity cesspools.
Rulemaking Reference Documents
- Proposed Underground Injection Control Regulations for Class V Injection Wells (PDF) (35 pp, 309K, About PDF)
- Revisions to the Underground Injection Control Regulations for Class V Injection Wells - Notice of Data Availability (PDF) (4 pp, 25K, About PDF)
- Contaminant Occurrence in Public Water Systems related to Class V wells (Draft, April 1999): supporting material for May 1999 NODA (PDF) (30 pp, 682K, About PDF)
Training Materials for Regulators
These are Microsoft PowerPoint files. Download the free PowerPoint viewer.
- State Implementation Guide Workshop Slides (PPT) (208K)
- State Primacy Revision Process Workshop Slides (PPT) (60K)
Guidance documents related to the rule for Class V well operators and regulatory agencies are available on the Guidance page.