Visit the Class V Publications page for materials on Class V wells.
This page contains links to UIC Program publications related to the various types of injection wells.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Protecting Drinking Water Through Underground Injection Control: UIC Pocket guide (PDF) (40 pp, 1.36MB). This guide provides an overview of the UIC Program, including: importance to drinking water; the history of the program; the five pathways injection can contaminate USDWs; well specific information and requirements for protecting USDWs; contact information; and more.
- The Underground Injection Control Program: 30 Years Protecting Ground Water Through the Safe Drinking Water Act (PDF) (1 pg, 439K). This poster describes how the various classes of injection wells have protected drinking water sources. Order hard copies of the poster through the Office of Water’s publications page.
- Protecting Public Health Through Underground Injection (PDF) (2 pp, 1785K). This poster explains how various types of businesses and industries can safely dispose of their wastewater, extract mineral resources, and store water for the future under the UIC Program. Order hard copies of the poster through the Office of Water’s publications page.
- Protecting Public Health Through Underground Injection is also available in Spanish (PDF) (2 pp, 1785K). Order hard copies of the poster through the Office of Water’s publications page.
- Technical Overview of the UIC Program (PDF) (89 pp, 1.5MB)
- Statement of Basis and Purpose for the UIC Program - 1980 Version (PDF) (20 pp, 381K)
- Statement of Basis and Purpose for the UIC Program - 1979 Version (PDF) (21 pp, 363K)
- Coupled Reaction - Transport Modeling of Deep Well Waste Injection (PDF) (172 pp, 8.4MB)
- Review and Evaluation of Envirocorp's Reference Molecule Approach for Devising Detection Limits and Theoretical Ability to Model Fate and Transport of Highly Complex Waste Streams (PDF) (54 pp, 3.6MB)
- Detecting Water Flow Behind Pipe in Injection Wells (PDF) (92 pp, 5.2MB)
- Current Geochemical Models to Predict the Fate of Hazardous Wastes in the Injection Zones of Deep Disposal Wells (PDF) (162 pp, 10.8MB)
- Analysis of the Effects of EPA Restrictions on the Deep Injection of Hazardous Waste (PDF) (42 pp, 2.4MB)
- Investigation of the Hydraulic Effects of Deep-well Injection of Industrial Wastes (PDF) (112 pp, 7.8MB)
- Underground Injection Control Inspection Manual (PDF) (312 pp, 15.4MB)
- Surface-Based Electrical Surveys For Injection Well Fluids (PDF) (146 pp, 8MB)
- Methods for Determining the Mechanical Integrity of Class I Injection Wells (PDF) (280 pp, 16.6MB)
- Final Injection Well Construction Practices and Technology (PDF) (326 pp, 19.7MB)
- Desalination of Brackish Groundwater (PDF) (5 pp, 313K)
- Development of Procedures and Costs for Proper Abandonment and Plugging of Injection Wells (PDF) (122 pp, 6.6MB)
- Final Report Mechanical Integrity Testing of Injection Wells (PDF) (72 pp, 3.3MB)
- A Study of Sampling Procedures as Applied to the Mechanical Integrity Testing of Injection Wells (PDF) (18 pp, 874K)
UIC Technical Work Group Products
- Technical reports by the National UIC Technical Workgroup are available on Region 5's Web site.
- Class I Underground Injection Control Program: Study of the Risks Associated with Class I Underground Injection Wells (PDF) (113 pp, 1MB)
- Relative Risk Assessment of Management Options for Treated Wastewater in South Florida
- Study of Potential Impacts of Hydraulic Fracturing of Coalbed Methane Wells on Underground Sources of Drinking Water.
- Executive Summary of the Report to Congress "Class V Injection Wells: Current Inventory, Effects on Ground Water, Technical Recommendations" (PDF) (38 pp, 2.2MB)
- Report to Congress on Injection of Hazardous Waste (PDF) (312 pp, 16.6MB)
- Visit the Guidance page to view the UIC Program’s programmatic, technical, and regulatory guidance documents.