Complying With the Revised Drinking Water Standard for Arsenic: Small Entity Compliance Guide
One of the Simple Tools for Effective Performance (STEP) Guide Series
This guide is designed to help systems understand and achieve compliance with the Arsenic rule. The guide provides sample worksheets to help systems organize data, and provides guidance for small systems on their selection of appropriate compliance options.
Quick Reference Guide to Arsenic and Clarifications to Compliance and New Source Monitoring Rule
This document provides a simple and straightforward description of the rule, critical deadlines and requirements for drinking water systems and states, and information on monitoring requirements.
12 Steps to Arsenic Compliance and Helpful Resources for Public Water Systems
This factsheet provides a checklist of basic steps to help a water system move towards compliance with the Arsenic Rule. With each step, a list of EPA's most helpful references is included.
Top of page
Removing Multiple Contaminants from Drinking Water: Issues to Consider PDF (1pp, 366K)
EPA 816-H-07-004, December 2007
Talking to your Customers about Chronic Contaminants in Drinking Water PDF (2pp, 381K)
EPA 814-F-07-022, October 2007
Virtual Trade Show
EPA has developed a site to help water systems come into compliance with the Arsenic Rule. The Web site contains brief treatment technology descriptions, the interactive decision trees, questions to ask engineers and vendors when choosing a treatment technology, and a searchable vendor database.
Interactive Training CDs
The Interactive Workshop on the Removal of Arsenic from Drinking Water
(CD-ROM) is a companion to the eleven successful arsenic training events held in 2005. It features user-friendly navigation through the world of arsenic treatment, including audio commentary from the nation's top experts. To order a copy of this CD, please call 1-800-490-9198 and refer to EPA 625-C-05-004.
Evaluating Engineers and Vendors: A Brochure for Drinking Water Systems
EPA developed this brochure to help drinking water systems navigate through the process of selecting the most appropriate arsenic treatment, engineering firm, and treatment vendor. The brochure provides basic information on available treatment technologies for arsenic removal and estimating treatment installation and operation costs, as well as important questions to ask engineering firms and vendors
when looking for the best treatment for your system and the best firm to design and install the technology. To order a copy of this brochure, please call 1-800-490-9198 and refer to EPA 816-R-05-008.
EPA has developed 6 short videos that showcase the real world application of various arsenic treatment removal technologies. To order a copy of this DVD, please call 1-800-490-9198 and refer to EPA 816-C-05-005.
Arsenic and your Distribution System
This fact sheet helps water system owners and operators understand and respond to issues that may arise with arsenicin the distribution system, or with distribution system concerns resulting from the installation of arsenic treatment.
A System's Guide to the Identification and Disposal of Hazardous and Non-Hazardous
Water Treatment Plant Residuals
EPA 816-F-06-011 August 2006
Top of page
More Information on Treatment Technologies
EPA's Office of Research and Development is focusing on research and development of more cost effective technologies through their Arsenic Rule Implementation Research Program. The following are treatment technology products of the Office of Ground Water & Drinking Water. They are focused on providing practical information for States and drinking water systems.
Arsenic Treatment Technology Evaluation Handbook for Small Systems
This Handbook includes general arsenic treatment information, cost evaluation tools, and design considerations for specific treatment technologies. The Handbook is organized to enable the utility to make educated decisions about the most appropriate treatment approach(es) to address arsenic concerns prior to getting involved in detailed design considerations.
The Handbook includes a series of process selection decision trees that were developed to help systems select the most appropriate arsenic mitigation strategy.
- Download the Arsenic Treatment Technology Evaluation Handbook for Small Systems (1.9 M PDF File, 151 pgs)
The decision trees contained in this document were current when the handbook was published in 2003. They are still relevant and can provide a simple guide for selecting an arsenic treatment. However, EPA has slightly modified the trees since publication to reflect changes in regulation and arsenic treatment technologies. The trees are intended for use as an iterative tool. Users can work their way through the trees a number of times, modifying preferences and system specific circumstances. There may not be a single solution. Further cost evaluation and assessment of other considerations such as labor commitments, residual disposal, and available space, may be necessary.
- View the updated arsenic treatment interactive decision tree online.
Point-of-Use/Point-of-Entry Treatment Devices
Test Kits for Non-Compliance Arsenic Monitoring: EPA Verification Reports
Field test kits are a valuable asset to the water system operator. They provide quick results to help determine whether your treatment process is operating properly. However, they are not a substitute for analysis by an EPA certified laboratory.
Arsenic Rule Compliance Success Stories
Coldwater Canyon Water Company, AZ: Testing Emerging Technologies to Reduce Treatment Costs | PDF Version (2pp, 117K)
City of Lemoore, CA: Water Quality-Based Well Design | PDF Version (2pp, 103K)
- McCook, NE: Addressing Multiple Contaminants Through Treatment and Blending | PDF Version (2pp, 118K)
- Wisconsin: Geologic Solution for Private Wells in Outagamie and Winnebago Counties | PDF Version (2pp, 131K)
- Dare County, NC: Integration with Existing Reverse Osmosis Treatment | PDF Version (2pp, 104K)
- Michigan: Arsenic in Schools | PDF Version (2pp, 102K)
- Ripon, CA: Pilot Studies Useful for Treatment Evaluations | PDF Version (2pp, 219K)
- Fallon, NV: Pooling Resources to Construct Arsenic Treatment Facility | PDF Version (2pp, 151K)
- Yukon, OK: Purchasing Water From a Neighboring Public Water System | PDF Version (2pp, 219K)
- Seattle, WA: Arsenic in Public Schools | PDF Version (2pp, 112K)
- Cedar Woods, NC: System Purchase by Another Public Water System | PDF Version (2pp, 210K)
- Defense Distribution Depot San Joaquin Sharpe Site, CA: The Value of Researching All Possible Alternatives | PDF Version (2pp, 98K)
- Nevada: Tribal System Experience With Arsenic Rule Compliance | PDF Version (2pp, 185K)
- Scottsdale, Arizona PDF (3pp, 92K)
- Tucson, Arizona PDF (3pp, 94K)
- Paramount, California PDF (3pp, 45K)
- Fairbanks, Alaska PDF (3pp, 100K)
Top of page
2006 Capacity Building Tools Webcast
2005 Arsenic On-site Training
- These trainings occurred in May and April of 2005.
The following are the presentations given at these trainings.
Arsenic Rule Webcast: October 20, 2004
- Case Studies/Update on EPA's Office of Research and Development's Demonstration Projects
- Agenda (81 K PDF File, 1 pg)
- Webcast Intro
- Presentation (272 K PDF File, 2 pgs)
- Presentation (4.6 K Point File, 2 pgs)
- Arsenic Implementation in NHs
- Presentation (133 K PDF File, 15 pgs)
- Presentation (62 K Powerpoint File, 15 pgs)
- Arsenic Removal During Iron Removal
- Presentation (587 K PDF File, 28 pgs)
- Presentation (4.5K Powerpoint File, 28 pgs)
- Treatment Options Part 1
- Presentation (516 K PDF File, 26 pgs)
- Presentation (5. K Powerpoint File, 26 pgs)
- Update on EPA's Arsenic Removal Technology Demonstration Program
- Presentation (6.3 M PDF File, 27 pgs)
- Presentation (1.3 M Powerpoint File, 27 pgs)
- Waste Disposal Options
- Presentation (370 K PDF File, 12 pgs)
- Presentation (423 K Powerpoint File, 12 pgs)
- Question and Answer Fact Sheet
- Q & A (115 K PDF File, 5 pgs)
- Q & A (307 K WORD PERFECT File, 5 pgs)
Arsenic Rule Webcast: December 1, 2004
- Agenda (66 K PDF File, 1 pg)
- An Overview of the Arsenic Rule
- Presentation (400 K PDF File, 15 pgs)
- Presentation (363 K Powerpoint File, 15 pgs)
- Arsenic in the Environment: Health Effects and Risk Assessment
- Presentation (164 K PDF File, 20 pgs)
- Presentation (107 K Powerpoint File, 20 pgs)
- Centrally Managed POU Treatment for Compliance with the Arsenic Rule Grimes Study
- Presentation (918 K PDF File, 31 pgs)
- Presentation (5,533 K Powerpoint File, 31 pgs)
- The Financial Considerations of an Exemption
- Presentation (275 K PDF File, 8 pgs)
- Presentation (261 K Powerpoint File, 8 pgs)
- Implementing a Point-of-Use (POU)/Point-of-Entry (POE) Strategy
- Presentation (476 K PDF File, 10 pgs)
- Presentation (1,288 K Powerpoint File, 10 pgs)
- Point-of-Use and Point-of-Entry
- Presentation (235 K PDF File, 21 pgs)
- Presentation (398 K Powerpoint File, 21 pgs)
- Question and Answer Fact Sheet
- Q & A (72 K PDF File, 14 pgs)
- Q & A (375 K WORD PERFECT File, 14 pgs)
Presentations from 2002 Arsenic Rule Training Sessions
- Rule Requirements and Background on Rule-making:
- Powerpoint (9 M Powerpoint File, 46 slides)
- PDF (2 M PDF File, 46 pgs)
- State Primacy Requirements:
- Powerpoint (722 K Powerpoint File, 18 slides),
- PDF (125 K PDF File, 18 pgs)
- Small Systems Implementation Strategy:
- Powerpoint (15MB Powerpoint File, 71 slides),
- PDF (776 K PDF File, 71pgs)
- Requirements for Reporting, Compliance, and SDWIS:
- Powerpoint (8 M Powerpoint File, 72 slides),
- PDF (2 M PDF File, 72 pgs)
- Arsenic Treatment Approaches:
- Powerpoint (18 M Powerpoint File, 152 slides),
- PDF (3 M PDF File, 152 pgs)
- Waste Disposal Issues:
- Powerpoint (149 K Powerpoint File, 56 slides),
- PDF (489 K PDF File, 56 pgs)
Top of page