|Federal agencies that contribute to EPA's environmental goals, and how they make a difference.|
|Programs by EPA Strategic Goal
1. Climate Change and Improving Air Quality
2. Protecting America's Waters
3. Cleaning Up and Sustainable Development
4. Safety of Chemicals and Preventing Pollution
Programs by Agency
AID, ARC, CNCS, CPSC, CSB, DHS, DOC, DOD, DOE, DOI, DOJ, DOL, DOS, DOT, ED, FHFA, GSA, HHS, HUD, NASA, NRC, NSF, OSTP, SBA, TVA, USDA, USPS, USTR, VA
Department of the Interior
EPA Goal 3: Cleaning Up Communities and
Advancing Sustainable Development
The Office of Surface Mining (OSM) is a small bureau with responsibility, in cooperation with states and Indian tribes, for the protection of citizens and the environment during coal mining and reclamation.
• Provides information on pre-regulatory mine site issues and development opportunities — targeted to local governments, states, tribes, quasi-public development organizations, non profits, and other entities eligible to apply for EPA Brownfields assessment and cleanup grants.
• Offers grant writing training and assistance through its Clean Streams Program — targeted to watershed groups and other entities eligible to apply for grants to support brownfield redevelopment.
• Supports the assessment, reclamation, and redevelopment of abandoned mine lands as brownfields — targeted to local governments.
Source(s) of Information
1. EPA: Department of the Interior — Office of Surface Mining
Related EPA Program(s)
Brownfields are defined as real properties, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse, which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. (There is some statutory exclusion to this definition). The Brownfields Program is designed to empower states, Tribes, local communities, and other stakeholders in economic redevelopment to work together to prevent, assess, safely cleanup, and reuse Brownfields.
• Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liabilities Act (CERCLA) as amended by the Small Business Liability Relief and Brownfields Revitalization Act (Pub. L.107-118)
• Government Management Reform Act (1990)
• Solid Waste Disposal Act
• Federal Grant and Cooperative Agreement Act
• Annual Appropriations Act