|Federal agencies that contribute to EPA's environmental goals, and how they make a difference.|
|Programs by EPA Strategic Goal
1. Climate Change and Improving Air Quality
2. Protecting America's Waters
3. Cleaning Up and Sustainable Development
4. Safety of Chemicals and Preventing Pollution
Programs by Agency
AID, ARC, CNCS, CPSC, CSB, DHS, DOC, DOD, DOE, DOI, DOJ, DOL, DOS, DOT, ED, FHFA, GSA, HHS, HUD, NASA, NRC, NSF, OSTP, SBA, TVA, USDA, USPS, USTR, VA
Tennessee Valley Authority
EPA Goal 3: Cleaning Up Communities and
Advancing Sustainable Development
TVA integrates waste management at every level of its operations to help preserve our region’s national resources. TVA will increase environmental sustainability in waste management by focusing on waste avoidance, lowering generation of waste and increasing recycling.
Source(s) of Information
1. TVA: Waste Minimization
Related EPA Program(s)
RCRA: Waste Minimization & Recycling:
EPA will reduce materials and energy use through product and process redesign and increase materials and energy recovery from wastes otherwise requiring disposal. EPA will also reduce pollution in business through adoption of more efficient, sustainable and protective policies, practices, materials and technologies.
The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) calls for national leadership to reduce the amount of waste generated and to improve the recovery and conservation of materials. Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) takes a life-cycle approach to materials use and waste prevention by examining the efficiencies of the material stream from the point of resource extraction through final waste management and disposal. The implementation of Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) is fundamental to ensuring that adequate natural resources (i.e., materials and energy) are available to meet today’s needs and those of the future.
• Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), as amended Public Law 94-580, 42 U.S.C. 6901 et seq.
• Solid Waste Disposal Act (SWDA), Sections 8001 and 3011 (a) and (c), as amended
• Dept of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development and Independent Agencies Appropriations Act, Public Law 105-276, 112 Stat.2461, 2499 (1998)
• Additionally, Executive Order 13514 calls for acquisition and waste management efforts with mandatory reporting. EPA will continue Executive Order implementation efforts through technical assistance and use of EPA tools.