Transportation and Climate
Regulations & Standards: Federal Fleets
Low GHG-Emitting Vehicles
Section 141 of the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) requires federal agencies to acquire low greenhouse gas (GHG) emitting vehicles.
Each model year (MY), EPA evaluates the GHG emissions performance of the light-duty (LD) fleet to determine the maximum allowable GHG emissions level to be designated a low GHG-emitting vehicle.
Definition of a Low GHG-Emitting Vehicle
EISA 141 compliance levels are based on specific CO2 gram/mile maximum emissions levels. The CO2 emissions level threshold for any given model year will be determined by estimating the level needed to designate approximately 25% of cars and 25% of LD trucks and medium-duty passenger vehicles (MDPVs) as EISA 141 compliant.
Model Year 2014 and On
EISA 141 Compliance Thresholds
(maximum grams/mile CO2 emissions)
|MY 2014||MY 2015||MY 2016|
|Light-Duty Trucks, MDPVs||390||380||375|
|FFV Passenger Cars* (on E85)||360||350||300|
|FFV Light-Duty Trucks* (on E85)||435||425||375|
Model Year 2012 and Earlier
Search for Low GHG-Emitting Vehicles
Find a low GHG-emitting passenger car, truck, or FFV* for
- Model Year 2015 (PDF) (10 pp, 228K, EPA-420-B-15-009, January 2015)
- Model Year 2014 (PDF) (12 pp, 252K, EPA-420-B-14-016e, October 2014)
- Model Year 2013 (PDF) (13 pp, 283K, EPA-420-B-14-024, June 2014)
* FFVs are listed separately under vehicle type, as some FFVs only qualify when operated with E-85. These vehicles must be operated with E-85 in order to qualify as low GHG-emitting.
**Hyundai and Kia revise data for model years 2011- 2013 (November 2, 2012)
- EISA Sect. 141 Guidance (PDF) (28 pp, 1.25MB, EPA-420-B-12-027, June 2012)
- EISA Sect. 141 Final Guidance (EPA-420-B-10-008, February 2010)
- EISA Sect. 141 Vehicle GHG Assessment Tool Final (XLS) (34K, May 2014)
- Earlier version: EISA Sect. 141 Vehicle GHG Assessment Tool Final (XLS) (57.5K, June 2013)
- For assistance with "alternative measures," agencies should look into U.S. EPA climate-related partnership programs that provide a wide variety of services and resources to measure and reduce GHG emissions. These programs include: