State and Local Transportation Resources
Industry & Residential Sectors: Airport Strategies
This page provides links to EPA and non-EPA Web-based resources that provide additional information on industry and residential sectors. Links go directly to specific Web sites or documents that address airport strategies.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
- Other Federal Departments & Agencies
- State, Local, and Regional Programs
- Non-Governmental Organizations
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
A Web site focused on commercial aviation and its air pollutant emissions, including regulations, guidance, and other information related to aircraft.
- Guide to Ground Transportation at Los Angeles International Airport (PDF) (3pp, 282K)
A guide on transportation services in and around Los Angeles International Airport with an emphasis on environmentally-friendly carriers.
- Nonroad Engine and Vehicle Emission Study
A study that includes a summary of the national emissions from airport service equipment.
- Voluntary Emission Reduction Program for Airport Ground Support Equipment
A report and model by EPA to estimate the potential emission benefits of air quality strategies involving ground support equipment at airports.
Other Federal Departments & Agencies
- Federal Aviation Administration: Voluntary Airport Low Emissions Program
Describes a national program to reduce airport ground emissions at commercial service airports located in air quality nonattainment and maintenance areas.
- General Conformity Guidance for Airports Questions and Answers (PDF) (31pp, 406K)
A guidance document for airports, from the Federal Aviation Administration and EPA, on the implementation of the general conformity regulations.
- Aviation and the Environment (PDF) (105pp, 2.7M)
A report by the Government Accounting Office on increased airport traffic and activity and its effects on environmental quality, such as air pollution from ground transportation vehicles and aircraft.
State, Local, and Regional Programs
- Air Pollution Mitigation Measures for Airports and Associated Activity
A California Air Resources Board reference guide on emission mitigation techniques that can be applied to aircraft and their operations, the ground support equipment that service aircraft, and other airport on-road and off-road emission sources such as maintenance, passenger, and employee vehicles.
- Clean Airport Partnership
A not-for-profit corporation devoted exclusively to improving environmental quality and energy efficiency at airports.
- Dallas Fort Worth International: Building a Model Green Airport (PDF) (5pp, 136K)
A fact sheet that outlines the airport's effort to address ground support equipment and other air emissions.
- Expanding the Use of Alternative Fuel Vehicles at Airports (PDF) (25pp, 2.1M)
Includes case studies, as well as steps for building successful alternative fuel vehicle programs at airports.
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (PDF) (6pp, 438K)
A report that describes the airport's current environmental baseline and then presents strategies for reducing its impact as it grows.