Importing Vehicles and Engines into the U.S.
Regulations and Standards
This web page provides links to regulations and standards for controlling air pollution from motor vehicles, motor vehicle engines, heavy-duty on-highway engines, recreational vehicles(dirt bikes, ATVs, ORUVs, snowmobiles) and nonroad engines. The regulations can be found in title II of the Clean Air Act (Act, or CAA) and Volume 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), 40 CFR, Parts 85, 86, 89, 90, 91, 92, 94, 1033, 1036, 1037, 1039, 1042, 1043, 1045, 1048, 1051, 1054, 1068.
- Light-duty motor vehicles
- Light-duty Diesel fueled motor vehicles
- On-highway Motorcycles
- Recreational vehicles (dirt bikes, ATV’s, UTV’s, and snowmobiles) since 2006
- Heavy-duty On-highway engines
- Nonroad small spark-ignition
- Nonroad compression-ignition engines
- Nonroad large spark-ignition engines
- Marine compression-ignition engines
- Marine spark-ignition engines
- Locomotive engines