Modeling and Inventories
NONROAD Model (nonroad engines, equipment, and vehicles)
The NONROAD Model is intended for Windows 98 and later. Its primary use is for estimation of air pollution inventories by professional mobile source modelers, such as state air quality officials and consultants. NONROAD2008 updates NONROAD2005 to include new nonroad emission standards promulgated in 2008 related to small gasoline engines and pleasure craft.
- Listserver Information
- NONROAD2008a Model
- Documentation: User Guide
- Documentation: Technical Reports
- Other EPA NONROAD Model Documentation
- Other Nonroad Reference Material
- Related Links
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- (posted July 2009)
- ReadMe File -- known issues and updates to NONROAD2008
- Frequently Asked Questions: NONROAD2008 Emission Inventory Model (PDF) (5 pp, 190K, EPA420-F-09-021, April 2009)
- "EPA NONROAD Model Updates of 2008" International Emission Inventory Conference presentation of changes from NONROAD2005 (PDF) (29 pp, 100K, EPA420-F-09-020, April 2009)
- Overview & Full Installation Instructions - Please follow these instructions closely to install any NONROAD model files.
- NONROAD2008a Core Model and Data Files (ZIP) (3.0M)
- Graphic User Interface (GUI) full installation (ZIP) (3.9M) - includes nrgui.exe and all needed DLL/system files. If you already had the NONROAD2005 GUI installed on your system, then you only need to update the GUI executable (in nrgui08.zip) provided below.
- Graphic User Interface (GUI) (ZIP) (110K) - nrgui08.zip (version 2008.1.0), posted April 2009. If you have never installed the GUI on your current computer, you should use the full GUI installation above.
- Reporting Utility files -- There are no updates for these from NONROAD2005. So if you have the NONROAD2005 versions, you do not need to download these. Otherwise, download both of these:
- MS-Access 2002 Runtime software (ZIP) (33M) - Needed to run Reporting Utility only if you do not already have a copy of Microsoft Access 2002(XP) or Access 2003.
- Suggested Nationwide Average Fuel Properties (PDF) (2 pp, 70K, EPA420-B-09-018, April 2009)- Suggested Diesel Fuel Sulfur Inputs and Gasoline Ethanol content by year, important for modeling diesel PM and SO2 emissions as well as all gasoline engine emissions.
- Source Code (ZIP) (440K) Fortran source for Core Model and Visual Basic source for GUI. Optional, for reference only. Not needed to run model.
If you prefer to receive a CD that contains the non-ZIP'd model files, please email email@example.com or fax 734-214-4939 with your request and mailing address.
Documentation: User Guide
- NONROAD2005 User's Guide (PDF) (202 pp, 1.6MB, EPA420-R-05-013)
Documentation: Technical Reports
These reports were updated in either July 2010, December 2005 or April 2004 and supersede prior versions. They are updated for NONROAD2008a. See the ReadMe or Frequently Asked Questions (5 pp, 190K, EPA420-F-09-021, April 2009) document for additional information.
- Temperature Corrections for Nonroad Exhaust Emissions, NR-001c (PDF) (4 pp, 33K, EPA420-R-05-014, December 2005)
- Conversion Factors for Hydrocarbon Emission Components, NR-002d (PDF) (6 pp, 488K, EPA-420-R-10-015, July 2010)
- Exhaust Emission Effects of Fuel Sulfur and Oxygen on Gasoline Nonroad Engines, NR-003c (PDF) (8 pp, 111K, EPA420-R-05-016, December 2005)
- Seasonal and Monthly Activity Allocation Fractions for Nonroad Engine Emissions Modeling, NR-004c (PDF) (22 pp, 723K, EPA420-R-05-017, December 2005)
- Median Life, Annual Activity, and Load Factor Values for Nonroad engine Emissions Modeling, NR-005d (PDF) (47 pp 874K, EPA-420-R-10-016, July 2010)
- Nonroad Engine Population Estimates, NR-006e (PDF) (48 pp, 1.1MB, EPA-420-R-10-017, July 2010)
- Calculation of Age Distributions in the Nonroad Model -- Growth and Scrappage, NR-007c (PDF) (16 pp, 141K, EPA420-R-05-018, December 2005)
- Nonroad Engine Growth Estimates, NR-008c (PDF) (PDF, 13 pp, 208K, EPA-420-P-04-008, April 2004)
- Exhaust and Crankcase Emission Factors for Nonroad Engine Modeling --Compression-Ignition, NR-009d (PDF) (141 pp, 2.3MB, EPA-420-R-10-018, July 2010)
- Exhaust Emission Factors for Nonroad Engine Modeling -- Spark-Ignition, NR-010f (PDF) (58 pp, 1.1MB, EPA-420-R-10-019, July 2010)
- Nonroad Spark-Ignition Engine Emission Deterioration Factors, NR-011d (PDF) (17 pp, 616K, EPA-420-R-10-020, July2010)
- Nonroad Evaporative Emission Rates, NR-012d (PDF) (147 pp, 2.7MB, EPA-420-R-10-021, July 2010)
- Refueling Emissions for Nonroad Engine Modeling, NR-013b (PDF) (8 pp, 151K, EPA420-P-04-013, April 2004)
- Geographic Allocation of Nonroad Engine Population Data to the State and County Level, NR-014d (PDF) (29 pp, 226K, EPA420-R-05-021, December 2005)
- Weekday and Weekend Day Temporal Allocation of Activity In The NONROAD Model, NR-015a (PDF) (7 pp, 154K, EPA420-P-04-015, April 2004)
Other EPA NONROAD Model Documentation
- April 2009 18th International Emission Inventory Conference (Baltimore) -- NONROAD2008 Poster Presentation
- EPA NONROAD Model Updates of 2008 (PDF) (28 pp, 100K, EPA420-F-09-020, April 2009)
- May 2006 15th International Emission Inventory Conference (New Orleans) -- NONROAD2005 Training
- April 2003 12th International Emission Inventory Conference (San Diego) -- NONROAD Paper
- Nonroad Model Workshop #4, November 5, 2002: Ann Arbor: A 3-day modeling workshop was held in Ann Arbor, MI, November 5 through 7, 2002. Only the first day of the workshop (November 5) was devoted to NONROAD model. The second and third days were devoted to the MOVES model and MOBILE6 model, respectively.
- Nonregulatory Nonroad Duty Cycles
- Archive of Previous Versions of the NONROAD Model and Documentation
Other Nonroad Reference Material
- Locomotive emissions regulations & guidance
- Emission Factors for Locomotives (PDF) (9 pp, 260K, April 2009, EPA420-F-09-025)
- Aviation emissions regulations & guidance (aircraft and ground support equipment)
- Voluntary Emission Reduction Program for Airport Ground Support Equipment
(GSE Study and GSE Emissions Model)
- Estimating Commercial Marine Emission Inventories
EPA's 1992 marine inventory guidance document (Procedures for Emission Inventory Preparation, Volume IV: Mobile Sources, EPA420-R-92-009, December 1992) uses methodologies based on fuel consumption that were common at that time. Since then, we have developed new marine inventory methodologies as part of our rulemaking process for emission standards for commercial marine diesel engines. These methodologies are more similar to what we use for mobile sources generally, and rely on emission factors, population estimates, and usage characteristics. These methodologies are described in an EPA report ("Current Methodologies in Preparing Mobile Source Port-Related Emission Inventories," April 2009). We are currently using these methodologies to update our marine inventories. States and other stakeholders are encouraged to refer to the report and the inventories we prepared for our commercial marine diesel engine standards for use in developing their own inventories. Chapters 2 and 3 of the EPA report describe the methodologies for ocean-going vessels and harbor craft, respectively. Chapter 3 of the Draft Regulatory Impact Analysis (EPA420-D-09-002, June 2009) for EPA's 2009 proposed rule, "Control of Emissions from New Compression-Ignition Engines at or Above 30 Liters per Cylinder", contains our inventory estimates and a description of how those estimates were produced for Category 3 commercial marine vessels. Chapter 3 of the Final Regulatory Impact Analysis (EPA420-R-08-001a, May 2008) for EPA's 2008 rule, "Control of Emissions of Air Pollution from Locomotive Engines and Marine Compression Ignition Engines Less than 30 Liters Per Cylinder", contains our inventory estimates and a description of how those estimates were produced for Category 1 and 2 commercial marine vessels.
- Current Methodologies in Preparing Mobile Source Port-Related Emission Inventories (PDF) (116 pp, 3MB, April 2009)
- Draft Regulatory Impact Analysis: Control of Emissions of Air Pollution from Category 3 Marine Diesel Engines (PDF) (500 pp, 12.4MB, EPA420-D-09-002, June 2009)
- Final Regulatory Impact Analysis: Control of Emissions of Air Pollution from Locomotive Engines and Marine Compression Ignition Engines Less than 30 Liters Per Cylinder (EPA420-R-08-001a, May 2008)
- Commercial Marine Activity in the United States - Final Reports (posted Sept 23, 1999)
- Emission Inventory Preparation
- Procedures for Emission Inventory Preparation - Volume IV: Mobile Sources (from National Transportation Library of the US Dept of Transportation) (also available as a PDF file, 3.1MB, EPA420-92-009, used to be listed as EPA-450/4-81-026d revised)
- AP-42: Status of Work to Update AP-42 Nonroad Emission Factors
- "Nonroad Engine and Vehicle Emission Study Report," November 1991 (Publication no. EPA-21A-2001 or EPA460/3-91-002)
- Read the Nonroad Engine and Vehicle Emission Study at Nonroad page.
- National Mobile Inventory Model (NMIM)
- A free, desktop computer application developed by EPA to help
you develop estimates of current and future emission inventories
for on-road motor vehicles and nonroad equipment.
- CARB Mobile Source Emission Inventory Branch (California Air Resources Board)
For further information or assistance regarding this web page, please contact the ASD Info Line at 734- 214-4636 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.