State and Local Transportation Resources
General Guidance on Innovative and Voluntary Air Pollution Control Strategies
Policy & Guidance
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
The guidance documents below outline basic processes in place for securing air quality credit for voluntary and innovative emission reduction programs in the context of state implementation plans, emission trading programs, and economic incentive programs.
- Incorporating Voluntary Mobile Source Emission Reduction Programs in State Implementation Plans (SIPs) (PDF) (40KB)
Guidance on how to include and apply for credit for voluntary mobile source emission reduction programs in a State Implementation Plan or "SIP."
- Voluntary Mobile Source Programs: Crediting Innovation and Experimentation Brochure (PDF) (96KB)
Examples of potential voluntary mobile source emission reduction programs that could be included in a SIP.
- Guidance on Incorporating Bundled Measures in a State Implementation Plan
Guidance on how to combine the sum of emissions reductions from a group of emerging measures (transportation and stationary) for the purposes of submitting them to EPA in a single SIP submission.
- Incorporating Emerging and Voluntary Measures in a State Implementation Plan (Stationary Sources) (PDF)(62KB)
Guidance on how to include and apply for credit for voluntary stationary source emission reduction programs in a SIP.
- Economic Incentive Program (EIP) Guidance (PDF) (640KB)
Guidance on how to develop and include a discretionary Economic Incentive Program as a measure in a SIP.