State and Local Transportation Resources
In-Use Measures: Heavy-Duty Retrofits
This page provides links to EPA and non-EPA resources that provide additional information on in-use measures to reduce emissions. Links go directly to specific websites or documents that address heavy-duty retrofits.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
- Other Federal Departments & Agencies
- State, Local, and Regional Programs
- Non-Governmental Organizations
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
- National Clean Diesel Campaign
A national EPA campaign that is working aggressively to reduce the pollution emitted from diesel engines across the country through the implementation of varied control strategies and the aggressive involvement of national, state, and local partners.
- Nonroad Diesel Equipment
EPA's site for all aspects of nonroad diesels, including basic information, regulations, and compliance assistance.
- SmartWay Transport Partnership
Participate in this program to provide incentives that will encourage retailers, and the freight sector (truck and rail) to reduce emissions from the transport of ground freight.
- Voluntary Diesel Retrofit Program
EPA's program to reduce pollution from diesel engines on the road today by helping air quality planners and fleet owners in state and local governments obtain information to create effective retrofit programs.
- Voluntary Emission Reduction Program for Ground Support Equipment
A report and model by EPA to estimate the potential emission benefits of air quality strategies involving ground support equipment at airports.
Other Federal Departments & Agencies
- Clean Air and Transportation: Diesel Engine Retrofit
A Federal Highway Administration white paper designed to raise awareness about diesel engine retrofit programs.
- Assessment of Potential Strategies to Reduce Emissions from Diesel Engines in Washington State
A report that identifies technologies and actions that can reduce particulate matter emissions in existing diesel engines.
- California's Diesel Risk Reduction Plan
The California Air Resources Board developed a risk management program, which provides useful information and measures to reduce diesel emissions.
- Oregon Clean Diesel Initiative
A state-wide program working to promote voluntary retrofit of diesel engines, in both on- and off-highway situations.
An online information service on clean diesel engines and diesel emissions.
- Environmental Defense - Cleaner Diesel Handbook (PDF) (12pp, 473K)
Environmental Defense is a nonprofit organization that published a handbook designed to cut emissions by diesel engines, especially nonroad.
- NESCAUM's Status Report on Clean Mobile Source Diesel Initiatives (PDF) (43pp, 2.9M)
Provides background and technical information necessary for effective decision-making on local diesel programs.