Soil Fumigant Information for Communities
Questions on Soil Fumigations?
- National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC), 1-800-858-7378 Contact NPIC for general information about soil fumigants and other pesticides. Se habla Español.
- Reporting Pesticide Incidents, Learn how to report pesticide exposure or illness involving people or pets, as well as incidents involving wildlife or pesticide drift.
- State Pesticide Regulatory Agencies, Contact your State pesticide regulatory agency to report a possible pesticide misuse or misapplication for potential enforcement action.
Current as of August 2013
Emergency Preparedness and Response Requirements
Although buffers and other mitigation will prevent many incidents, it is likely that some incidents will still occur due to accidents, errors, and/or unforeseen weather conditions. Early detection and appropriate response to accidental chemical releases is an effective means of reducing risk. Preparedness for these types of situations is an important part of the suite of measures necessary to avoid risks posed by fumigants.
Community Outreach and Education Programs
Registrants’ Information for Communities
The EPA required fumigant registrants to develop and implement community outreach programs to ensure that information about fumigants and safety is available in communities where soil fumigation occurs. Outreach programs help address the risk of bystander exposure by educating community members about
- buffer zones,
- how to recognize warning signs, and
- how to respond appropriately in case of an incident.
Registrants have also developed and distributed information for first responders and medical professionals to help them identify and appropriately respond to incidents of exposure to soil fumigants.
EPA Information for Communities
The EPA offers practical answers to questions about soil fumigation in your area.
- Soil fumigation? In my area? What should I know? (EPA Web page, August 2013)
- What Residents in Agricultural Communities Should Know About Soil Fumigants (EPA Region 9 brochure, September 2012)
- Lo Que los Habitantes de las Comunidades Agricolas Deben Saber Sobre los Fumigantes del Suelo (EPA Region 9 brochure, Spanish language version, September 2012)