Pesticide News Story: EPA and NPMA Partner to Promote Bed Bug Awareness
For Release: April 22, 2013
The EPA is partnering with the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to help raise public awareness about bed bugs and what people can do to help curb infestations. The EPA has resources for communities to learn how to prevent, detect and control bed bug infestations. Obtaining accurate information is the first step in both prevention and control. While there are no quick fixes, there are effective strategies to control bed bugs using both non-chemical and chemical methods.
Simple precautions can help prevent bed bug infestation in your home:
- Check secondhand furniture, beds and couches for any signs of bed bug infestation before bringing them home.
- Reduce clutter in your home to reduce hiding places for bed bugs.
- When traveling, use hotel room luggage racks to hold your luggage when packing or unpacking rather than setting your luggage on the bed or floor.
The EPA has the following bed bug resources:
- Information website: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/bedbugs/
- Bed Bug Clearinghouse: http://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/bedbug-clearinghouse.html
- Ten Tips to Prevent Bed Bugs: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/bed-bugs-faq-fs.html
- “Travelers: Beware of Bed Bugs!” – handy reminder cards: http://www.epa.gov/oppfead1/Publications/bedbug-traveler.pdf
Bed Bugs in Schools Webinar
On Thursday, April 25 from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm ET, the EPA and the NPMA will co-host the webinar Understanding Bed Bugs in Schools. Presentations will describe proactive steps, such as how to prevent bed bugs, and how to manage bed bug hot spots in schools. To register for the webinar, please visit https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/775395562.
The National Pest Management Association is a gold-level member of the EPA’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program (PESP) and has declared April 22-26 Bed Bug Awareness Week. To learn more about PESP, go to http://www.epa.gov/pesp/.
For information from the NPMA on bed bugs, visit http://www.pestworld.org/all-things-bed-bugs/.