Chemical Review Manager: Tom Myers (firstname.lastname@example.org), 703-308-8589
- Documents related to EPA's review of this pesticide can be found in the following docket(s):
Agreement in Principle (January 2009)
- Organic Arsenicals fact sheet (April 2013)
- Guidance for Products Containing the Organic Arsenicals (PDF) (8p., 351K, About PDF)(February 18, 2009)
- Amendment to Reregistration Eligibility Decision for Organic Arsenicals - April 22, 2009
- Reregistration Eligibility Decision (RED)(PDF) - August 2006 (70 pp, 742 KB, About PDF)
Federal Register Notices
- Organic Arsenicals; Product Cancellation Order and Amendments to Terminate Uses [September 30, 2009]
- Organic Arsenicals; Notice of Receipt of Requests to Voluntarily Cancel or to Amend to Terminate Uses of Certain Pesticide Registrations [July 08, 2009], comment period open thru August 7, 2009.
- Organic Arsenicals; Amendment to Reregistration Eligibility Decision [May 6, 2009]
- Organic Arsenical Herbicides (MSMA, DSMA, CAMA, and Cacodylic Acid), Reregistration Eligibility Decision; Reopening of Comment Period [December 20, 2006], comment period closed on January 19, 2007
- Organic Arsenical Herbicides (MSMA, DSMA, CAMA, and Cacodylic Acid), Reregistration Eligibility Decision; Extension of Comment Period [October 27, 2006], extended comment period closed on December 13, 2006
- Organic Arsenical Herbicides (MSMA, DSMA, CAMA, and Cacodylic Acid), Reregistration Eligibility Decision; Extension of Comment Period [October 4, 2006], comment period closed on November 9, 2006
- Organic Arsenical Herbicides (MSMA, DSMA, CAMA, and Cacodylic Acid), Reregistration Eligibility Decision; Notice of Availability [August 9, 2006], comment period closed on October 10, 2006
- Organic Arsenic Herbicides Risk Assessments; Notice of Availability and Risk Reduction Options [April 5, 2006], comment period closed on June 5, 2006
- Science Advisory Board (SAB) Staff Office, Notification of Upcoming Meetings of the Science Advisory Board Arsenic Review Panel, Public meeting September 12 -13, 2005.
Arsenic Review Panel of the SAB
On July 24, 2005, EPA asked the Science Advisory Board (SAB) to review several documents assessing the cancer risks associated with exposure to organic and inorganic arsenic. The SAB is reviewing these documents in a public meeting on Sept 12-13, 2005 (PDF) (3 pp., 43 KB, About PDF). People can be exposed to both natural and man-made arsenic and arsenic-containing compounds through drinking water, food, soil and air. Additionally, humans are exposed to organic arsenic when they are used as pesticides (e.g., monomethylarsenic acid and dimethylarsenic acid or cacodylic acid). EPA provided a document for consideration by the SAB on the toxic mode of action for the development of bladder tumors in rats following exposure to cacodylic acid (dimethylarsenic acid).
EPA regulates various sources of environmental exposures to arsenic compounds including establishing national standards in public drinking water supplies under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) and setting food tolerance limits as mandated by the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA). EPA¬'s Office of Pesticide Programs is currently evaluating organic arsenic herbicides for reregistration eligibility and for food tolerance limits as mandated by FQPA. EPA¬'s Office of Water is investigating inorganic arsenic.
- Information on the SAB
- Information on the SAB Arsenic Review Panel
- Information on the Office of Water's submission to the SAB
The Office of Pesticide Programs provided the following document for the SAB review: