Jump to main content.

Section 21 Petitions

More on Managing Existing Chemicals

Under Section 21 of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), any person may petition EPA to initiate a proceeding for the issuance, amendment, or repeal of a rule or order under:

The petition must be filed in EPA's Office of the Administrator, and set forth the facts that are claimed to establish the necessity for the action requested. EPA is required to grant or deny the petition within 90 days from the day the petition is filed with EPA. If EPA grants the petition, EPA must promptly commence an appropriate proceeding. If EPA denies the petition, the reasons for denial must be published in the Federal Register.


In issuing an advance notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPR), EPA initiated a process to develop risk assessments on potential adverse health effects of formaldehyde, evaluate the costs and benefits of its possible control technologies, and determine whether EPA action is needed to address any identified risks.

EPA began the effort following its review of a TSCA Section 21 citizens' petition (PDF) (106pp, 4.44MB, about PDF) that requested that EPA adopt nationally a California regulation to control formaldehyde emissions from these wood products.

The agency has been holding public meetings to get additional stakeholder input.

Local Navigation

Jump to main content.