Jump to main content.

OECD SIDS Voluntary Testing Program for International High Production Volume Chemicals

The "Screening Information Data Set" (SIDS) program operated under the auspices of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) is a voluntary cooperative international testing program that began in 1989. The SIDs program is focused on developing base level test information on approximately 600 poorly characterized international HPV chemicals. The SIDS data are used to "screen" the chemicals and set priorities for further testing or risk assessment/management activities.

The OECD/SIDS test data set includes:

Since 1989, many members of the U.S. chemical industry have been heavily involved in OECD SIDS testing program. The U.S. is responsible for 25% of almost 300 international HPV chemicals that are now active in the OECD/SIDS testing program, while the other OECD member countries (including Japan) are contributing the remaining 75% of the work.

Because virtually all of the 600 chemicals on the SIDS working list are produced by or imported to the U.S., EPA considers the OECD/SIDS testing program to be an integral part of the U.S. domestic chemical testing program under TSCA. EPA continues to strongly encourage members of the U.S. chemical industry to continue its testing and data sharing efforts under this international collaborative program.

OECD's Chemicals Programme Exit EPA Disclaimer

Local Navigation

Jump to main content.