- Case Studies and Articles
- US/OECD Minimum Pre-Market Data/Structure Activity Relationships Study
- Sustainable Futures / P2 Framework Manual
- Fact Sheets
Case Studies and Articles
A number of companies participating in Sustainable Futures have conducted case studies in the application of the SF / P2 Framework methods, including the PBT Profiler. These case studies include:
- SC Johnson's Use of the EPA PBT Profiler to Screen SC Johnson's Chemical Inventory (PDF) (10 pp, 160K)
- Bayer's Experience In The Use And Application Of The PBT Profiler for Predicting Persistence, Bioconcentration and Aquatic Toxicity of Chemical Substances (PDF) (2 pp, 81K)
- Eaton Aeroquip Inc.'s Experience In the Use and Application of the PBT Profiler for Predicting Persistence, Bioconcentration, and Toxicity of Chemical Substances (PDF) (2 pp, 96K).
Other participants have evaluated the predictive capability of the SF / P2 Framework methods, including:
- PPG's Comparison of Measured Aquatic Toxicity Data with EPA SAR Predictions (PDF) (6 pp, 83K)
- PPG's Comparison of Environmental Fate Predictions from the PBT Profiler with Data Found in the Literature (PDF) (1 pg, 32K).
- Eastman Kodak's Design for Competitive Advantage: The Business Benefits of the EPA Pollution Prevention Assessment Framework In New Product Development (PDF) (50 pp, 399K)
In addition, articles have appeared in the trade press which present industry perspectives on Sustainable Futures, including:
- Chemical Pilot Winter 2005: Bringing a New Chemical Product to Market under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA): The New Paradigm for Success and EPA's Sustainable Futures Program (PDF) (4 pp, 636K)
- Chemistry Business Dec04-Jan05: Cytec Industries takes Stand on Sustainable Futures (PDF) (2 pp, 84K).
US/OECD Minimum Pre-Market Data/Structure Activity Relationships Study
In October 1989 the OECD organized a workshop on the notification schemes of member countries. From the information presented at the workshop, it was apparent the majority of members used schemes based on the principle of the minimum pre-market data set (MPD) although the content of the MPD would vary. One exception was the United States where the notification scheme under the U.S. Toxic Substances Control Act did not include requirements for a MPD. The U.S. EPA instead relied heavily on (Quantiative) Structure Activity Relationship (QSAR) models. One of the recommendations from the workshop was to evaluate the predictive power of the QSARs used by EPA. The recommendations were a starting point for the collaborative effort between the European Community and the United States regarding use of QSAR, which is described in the report below.
Sustainable Futures / P2 Framework Manual
Extensive information on the Sustainable Futures / P2 Framework methods is available in the Sustainable Futures / P2 Framework Manual. The manual has been updated to include most of the training materials that are currently available. Included in the updated manual is the Sustainable Futures Summary Assessment Worksheet for the sample chemical isodecyl acrylate (CAS RN 1330-61-6) and a Sustainable Futures PMN submission for isodecyl acrylate. Manual Citation: Sustainable Futures / Pollution Prevention (P2) Framework Manual, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, OCSPP, EPA-748-B12-001. Sept. 2012.
Because these PDFs are large files, each chapter can be downloaded separately. You may want to review the "Front & TOC.pdf" (10 pp, 92KB) file first to review the entire contents of the manual.
To download files from the manual you may click on the following link to the Sustainable Futures / P2 Framework Manual page.
- Sustainable Futures Initiative Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 59K)
- PBT Profiler Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 97K)
- Analog Identification Methodology (AIM) Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 61K)