BEES 4.0e: Available for download now or on CD and printed manual!
- Chemical and Chemical Processes
- Environmentally Preferable Products
- Resouce Conservation
- All EPA Databases and Software
- Case Studies
In selecting the cases studies, EPA looked for programs that were producing results and supporting themselves with resources other than federal grants. Each shows how pollution prevention advocates and their agency partners can chart new pathways to achieving compliance. Each represents a pioneering innovation that is changing the way environmental business is conducted in a state or local environmental protection agency in an enduring way.
- Measuring Pollution Prevention
- Measuring results is an essential component of any successful P2 program. This section provides you with information and examples to identify appropriate measures and data collection methods for your P2 program activities.
- P2 Calculators
- P2 calculator tools (spreadsheets) are designed to help measure the environmental and economic performance results of pollution prevention activities. These calculators can demonstrate the unique multi-media perspective that P2 brings to reduce GHG reductions and cost savings.
- Pollution Prevention & Assistance Tracker Software
- With funding and support from U.S. EPA and oversight by NEWMOA's Assistance and Pollution Prevention Metrics Workgroup, NEWMOA developed a Microsoft Access-based database software application. This application contains sections for tracking program activities including: working one-on-one with clients (such as on-site visits and research); producing educational and outreach materials; sponsoring workshop/training events; responding to information requests; managing sector-based initiatives.
- Green Cleaners
- Proper sanitation and cleaning are important for a healthy building environment. Some cleaning products, however, can contain harmful chemicals that contaminate the environment and endanger human health. Implementing "green cleaning" practices can reduce these health, safety, and environmental risks. Green cleaning involves selecting alternative products, using those products properly, and taking other steps to reduce risks while maintaining a satisfactory level of cleanliness and disinfection.
- P2 Framework
- The P2 Framework is an approach to risk screening that incorporates pollution prevention principles in the design and development of chemicals. The objective of the P2 Framework approach is to inform decision making at early stages of development and promote the selection and application of safer chemicals and processes. This approach is implemented by means of a set of computer models that predict risk-related properties of chemicals using structure activity relationships (SARs) and standard (default) scenarios.
- P2 Gems
- A searchable guide to P2 resources on the Internet, including databases, directories, case studies, newsletters, and P2 websites.
- PBT Profiler
- The PBT Profiler was developed as a voluntary screening tool to identify Pollution Prevention opportunities for chemicals without experimental data.
ENVIRONMENTALLY PREFERABLE PRODUCTS
- BEES 4.0
- The BEES (Building for Environmental and Economic Sustainability) software brings to your fingertips a powerful technique for selecting cost-effective, environmentally-preferable building products. Developed by the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) Building and Fire Research Laboratory with support from the U.S. EPA Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Program, the tool is based on consensus standards and designed to be practical, flexible, and transparent. BEES measures the environmental performance of building products by using the life-cycle assessment approach specified in ISO 14000 standards.
- Cleaning Products Pilot Project (CPPP)
- The Cleaning Products Pilot Project (CPPP) was the first EPP pilot project established after Executive Order (E.O.) 12873 was issued. It is a cooperative interagency effort between the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to establish a framework for identifying and comparing environmentally preferable commercial cleaning products.
- Green Cleaning Pollution Prevention Calculator
- This calculator quantifies the projected environmental benefits of purchasing and using "green" janitorial services and products. It is designed to forecast the environmental benefits of reducing chemical use by doing some or all pollution prevention measures typically involved in the routine interior cleaning of an office building. This tool also enables users to identify which green cleaning measures will have the greatest impact in reducing their use of hazardous chemicals and in preventing pollution.
- Database of Environmental Information for Products and Services
- The Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Database is a tool to make it easier to purchase products and services with reduced environmental impacts. Environmental information on over 600 products and services is included in this database.
- Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT)
- The Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT): a national, independently facilitated label or rating mechanism to ease identification and purchasing of more environmentally friendly electronics. The rating system will be designed for use by large institutional purchasers of electronics, including government, private industry, and universities. The tool is being developed by an independently facilitated team of industry, government, and nonprofit stakeholders and is expected to be complete by the end of 2004.
- Environmental Management Systems
- This site provides information and resources related to Environmental Management Systems (EMSs) for businesses, associations, the public, and state and federal agencies. An EMS is a set of processes and practices that enable an organization to reduce its environmental impacts and increase its operating efficiency.
- Energy Star
- ENERGY STAR is a government-backed program helping businesses and individuals protect the environment through superior energy efficiency.
- Green Meetings
- Green meetings help meet your meetings planning needs while minimizing negative impacts on the environment. EPA and it's partners have developed a number of opportunities for conference planners and suppliers (e.g., hoteliers, convention centers, and food service providers) that can help reduce pollution, energy use, and water use at a conference.