Publications - Year
Risk Assessment Forum
- Microbial Risk Assessment Guideline. This document provides guidance on conducting risk assessments on potentially pathogenic microorganisms in water and food.
- Benchmark Dose Technical Guidance. This document provides guidance on the application of the benchmark dose approach for determining the point of departure for health effects data.
- Draft Framework for Human Health Risk Assessment to Inform Decision Making This document describes a Framework for conducting human health risk assessments that are responsive to the needs of decision making processes at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The Framework is intended to foster increased implementation of existing agency guidance for conducting human health risk assessments and to improve the utility of risk assessment in the decision making process.
- Human Health Risk Assessment Colloquium Summary Report
Microbial Risk Assessment Guideline (External Review Draft). This document provides guidance on conducting risk assessments on potentially pathogenic microorganisms in water and food.
Draft Guidance for Applying Quantitative Data to Develop Data-Derived Extrapolation Factors for Interspecies and Intraspecies Extrapolation. This document provides guidance on the use of empirical data to address interspecies and intraspecies extrapolation.
- Recommended Use of Body Weight 3/4 as the Default Method in Derivation of the Oral Reference Dose. This document lays out the approach and rationale for allometric scaling of oral dose using 3/4 power of body weight.
- Dioxin Toxicity Equivalency Factors (TEFs) for Human Health. This document describes EPA's updated approach for evaluating the human health risks from exposures to environmental media containing dioxin-like compounds.
- Report on Population-level Ecological Risk Assessment Workshop. A summary report considering issues associated with population-level ecological risk assessment and the lack of consensus and guidance on approaches for assessing risk to populations.
- Probabilistic Methods to Enhance the Role of Risk Analysis in Decision-Making (External Review Draft). The intended goal of these two draft white papers is to describe potential and actual uses of probabilistic tools in the risk decision-making process.
- Framework for Application of the Toxicity Equivalence Methodology for Polychlorinated Dioxins, Furans and Biphenyls in Ecological Risk Assessment. This framework is intended to assist EPA scientists in using the toxicity equivalence methodology in ecological risk assessments that involve dioxins and dioxin-like chemicals.
- Framework for Determining a Mutagenic Mode of Action for Carcinogenicity (External Review Draft). A draft document to help EPA risk assessors determine whether data support a finding of a mutagenic mode of action (MOA) for carcinogenicity.
- Framework for Metals Risk Assessment. A framework which outlines key principles about metals and describes how they should be considered in conducting human health and ecological risk assessments.
- Guidance on Selecting Age Groups for Monitoring and Assessing Childhood Exposures to Environmental Contaminants (Final). A document intended to provide guidance to EPA scientists on selecting age groups to consider when assessing childhood exposure and potential dose to environmental contaminants.
- Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment (2005). These updated guidelines provide a framework to EPA scientists for assessing possible cancer risks from exposures to pollutants or other agents in the environment.
- Supplemental Guidance for Assessing Susceptibility from Early-Life Exposure to Carcinogens. The Cancer Guidelines explicitly call for consideration of possible sensitive subpopulations and/or lifestages (such as childhood). The consideration of childhood risks in the final Cancer Guidelines has been augmented by this document.
- Framework for Inorganic Metals Risk Assessment (External Review Draft). This draft document reflects an EPA effort to develop cross-agency internal guidance for assessing metals.
- Generic Ecological Assessment Endpoints (GEAE) for Ecological Risk Assessment. This document addresses the critical early step in ecological risk assessments of selecting assessment endpoints for protection.
- Papers Addressing Scientific Issues in the Risk Assessment of Metals. To inform the consideration of metals properties, and to engage the external scientific community, the Agency commissioned external experts to lead the development of this series of issue papers.
- Framework for Application of the Toxicity Equivalence Methodology for Polychlorinated Dioxins, Furans and Biphenyls in Ecological Risk Assessment (External Review Draft). This draft framework is intended to assist EPA scientists in using a method known as the "toxicity equivalence methodology" to assess ecological risks from mixtures of these compounds.
- Framework for Cumulative Risk Assessment. This framework is the first step in a long-term effort in understanding the aggregation of risks from multiple environmental stressors.
- A Review of the Reference Dose and Reference Concentration Processes. This document addresses improvements in the process of deriving reference values, including ?less than lifetime? and chronic reference values.
- Draft Action Plan for the Development of a Framework for Metals Assessment and Guidance for Characterizing and Ranking Metals (External Review Draft). This draft plan addresses the issue that many EPA programs are faced with when deciding whether and how to regulate toxic metals.
- Summary Report of the Meeting on Development of a Metals Assessment Framework. A meeting summary focused on relevant information for development of an assessment framework for metals.
- Summary Report of the Peer Consultation Workshop on the Draft Framework for Cumulative Risk Assessment. A meeting summary which addressed issues to be considered during the cumulative risk assessment guidance development process.
- Summary Report of the Technical Peer Review Workshop on the Draft Document Entitled "A Review of the Reference Dose and Reference Concentration Processes". A meeting summary which focuses on deriving reference doses (RfDs) and reference concentrations (RfCs).
- Summary Report of the Technical Peer Review Workshop on the EPA Risk Assessment Forum Draft Framework for Cumulative Risk Assessment. This report summarizes technical peer review workshop discussions on the Draft Framework for Cumulative Risk Assessment.
- Exploration of Aging and Toxic Response. This document addresses the need to consider the aged or elderly as a special subpopulation when assessing risk to human health.
- Exploration of Perinatal Pharmacokinetic Issues. Issue papers focused on evaluating the current pharmacokinetic data in immature animals, at various stages of development.
- Summary Report of the Technical Workshop on Issues Associated with Considering Developmental Changes in Behavior and Anatomy When Assessing Exposure to Children. A workshop report focused on how to consider age-related changes in behavior and physical development when assessing childhood exposures to environmental contaminants.
- Workshop Report on the Application of 2,3,7,8-TCDD Toxicity Equivalence Factors to Fish and Wildlife. A workshop summary focused on identifying, documenting, and comparing uncertainties in TEF development and their impact in ecological risk assessments.
- Benchmark Dose Technical Guidance Document (External Review Draft). This draft document provides guidance on the application of the benchmark dose approach in determining the point of departure for health effects data.
- Summary Report for the Workshop on Issues Associated with Dermal Exposure and Uptake. A workshop summary addressing generic technical issues related to dermal exposure and risk assessment.
- Report of the Workshop on Selecting Input Distributions for Probabilistic Assessments. A workshop report assessing tools for analyzing variability and uncertainty in risk assessments.
- Summary of the U.S. EPA Workshop on the Relationship Between Exposure Duration and Toxicity. A workshop held to examine how dose-duration relationships are or can be incorporated into the risk assessment process for less-than-lifetime exposures.
- Assessment of Thyroid Follicular Cell Tumors. A review of some chemicals that have produced thyroid follicular cell tumors in experimental animals.
- Guidelines for Ecological Risk Assessment. These Agency-wide guidelines are provided to improve the quality and consistency of EPA's ecological risk assessments.
- Guidelines for Neurotoxicity Risk Assessment. This document guides EPA scientists in evaluating environmental contaminants that may pose neurotoxic risks.
- Summary of the U.S. EPA Colloquium on a Framework for Human Health Risk Assessment (Volume 2, 1998). This 2-part report lays out past and current human health risk assessment approaches and recommendations for integrating/harmonizing risk assessment methodologies for all human health endpoints.
- Guiding Principles for Monte Carlo Analysis. This document sets out a policy for use of probabilistic analysis in risk assessment and preliminary guidance on using probabilistic analysis.
- Special Report on Environmental Endocrine Disruption: An Effects Assessment and Analysis. This report provides an overview of the current state of the science for endocrine disruption.
- Summary of the U.S. EPA Colloquia on a Framework for Human Health Risk Assessment (Volume 1, 1997). This 2-part report lays out past and current human health risk assessment approaches and recommendations for integrating/harmonizing risk assessment methodologies for all human health endpoints.
- Guidelines for Reproductive Toxicity Risk Assessment. This document discusses exposure to agents that cause reproductive toxicity and describe the principles and procedures to be followed in conducting risk assessments for reproductive toxicity.
- Peer Review Workshop Report on Draft Proposed Guidelines for Ecological Risk Assessment. A summary report on the peer review and consensus-building in the development of ecological risk guidelines.
- Report on the Benchmark Dose Peer Consultation Workshop. A summary report on the peer review of the Benchmark Dose Technical Guidance document.
- Report on the U.S. EPA Technical Workshop on Wti Incinerator Risk Assessment Issues. This report includes information and materials from a peer review workshop in 1996 on an incinerator operated by Waste Technologies Industries (WTI) in East Liverpool, Ohio.
- Summary Report for the Workshop on Monte Carlo Analysis. A summary report on advancing the development of guiding principles concerning how to prepare or review a Monte Carlo analysis.
- Use of the Benchmark Dose Approach in Health Risk Assessment. This report discusses application of the benchmark dose (BMD) approach to human health risk assessment, specifically in the calculation of reference doses (RfDs) and reference concentrations (RfCs).
- Ecological Risk Assessment Issue Papers. The nine issue papers in this report are part of a long-term effort to develop Agency-wide ecological risk assessment guidelines for EPA.
- Peer Review Workshop Report on Ecological Risk Assessment Issue Papers. A workshop report on the peer review of eight ecological risk assessment issue papers.
- Report on the Technical Review Workshop on the Reference Dose for Aroclor 1016. This report includes information and materials from a technical review workshop for Aroclor 1016, a polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB).
- Report on the Workshop on Cancer Risk Assessment Guidelines Issues. This report summarizes the workshop on reviewing the Agency's Revisions to the Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment.
- Review of Ecological Assessment Case Studies from a Risk Assessment Perspective Volume II. An evaluation of 5 case studies related to ecological risk assessment.
- Workshop on the Use of Available Data and Methods for Assessing the Ecological Risks of 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-P-Dioxin to Aquatic Life and Associated Wildlife. A workshop report focused on the scientific reassessment of the human health and environmental risks of dioxins and dioxin-like chemicals.
- Report on the Technical Workshop on Wti Incinerator Risk Issues. This report includes information and materials from a peer review workshop in 1993 on an incinerator operated by Waste Technologies Industries (WTI) in East Liverpool, Ohio.
- Review of Ecological Assessment Case Studies from a Risk Assessment Perspective. An evaluation of 12 case studies related to ecological risk assessment.
- Workshop Report on Developmental Neurotoxic Effects Associated with Exposure to PCBs. The report of a workshop on the developmental neurotoxic effects of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs).
- Framework for Ecological Risk Assessment. This report describes basic elements for evaluating scientific information on the adverse effects of physical and chemical stressors on the environment.
- Guidelines for Exposure Assessment. This document describes the general concepts of exposure assessment including definitions and associated units and planning and conducting an exposure assessment.
- Peer Review Workshop Report on a Framework for Ecological Risk Assessment. This framework draft and workshop were part of a new EPA program for developing risk assessment guidelines for ecological effects.
- Report of the Neurotoxicity Risk Assessment Guidelines Peer Review Workshop. A workshop report on the peer review of the draft EPA guidelines for neurotoxicity risk assessment.
- Report on the Ecological Risk Assessment Guidelines Strategic Planning Workshop. A summary report of the strategic planning workshop convened to discuss ecological risk assessment guidelines.
- Alpha2u-Globulin: Association with Chemically Induced Renal Toxicity and Neoplasia in the Male Rat. Provides information on certain renal tubule tumors or nephrotoxicity to assess human risk.
- Guidelines for Developmental Toxicity Risk Assessment. Guidelines for assessing the risks for developmental toxicity from exposure to environmental agents.
- Report of the EPA Peer Review Workshop on Alpha2u-Globulin: Association with Renal Toxicity and Neoplasia in the Male Rat. A summary report of a workshop concerning the use of certain rat kidney tumors for human risk assessment.
- Summary Report on Issues in Ecological Risk Assessment. This report summarizes the discussion and conclusions of seven information-gathering meetings held to consider issues relevant to developing the first Agency-wide guidelines for ecological risk assessment.
- Interim Procedures for Estimating Risks Associated With Exposures to Mixtures of Chlorinated Dibenzo-P-Dioxins and-Dibenzofurans (CDDs and CDFs) and 1989 Update. EPA has adopted an interim procedure, based on dioxin toxicity equivalence factors (TEFs), for estimating the hazard and dose-response of complex mixtures containing CDDs, CDFs, and TCDD.
- Workshop Report on EPA Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment. This workshop report focuses on information gathering activities to identify and define scientific issues relating to the Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment.
- Workshop Report on EPA Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment: Use of Human Evidence. For this workshop, epidemiologists and others met to study and comment on the scientific foundation for possible changes in the human evidence sections of the 1986 carcinogen guidelines.
- Special Report on Ingested Inorganic Arsenic. This report discusses the association between inhaled arsenic and an elevated risk of lung cancer.
- Guidelines for Mutagenicity Risk Assessment. These guidelines advise Agency experts review information on each agent under consideration and use the most scientifically appropriate interpretation to assess risk.
- Guidelines for the Health Risk Assessment of Chemical Mixtures. These guidelines evaluate data on the health risks from exposures to chemical mixtures.
- Proliferative Hepatocellular Lesions of the Rat: Review and Future Use in Risk Assessment. This paper addresses questions that are crucial in the evaluation of rat tumor data and in the assessment of carcinogenic risk for humans.