ERP Tools & Resources
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
With over a decade of ERP experience, states and EPA have developed a wealth of tools and resources that explain and support the implementation of ERP. This webpage focuses on four core categories of tools and resources that are expected to be most pertinent to ERP implementers today:
- General Info about ERP
- Guides to Getting Started
- Measurement Resources for ERP and "Common Measures" Approaches
- Tools for Statistical Planning and Analysis
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) ERP Workbook Wizard
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more About PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- ERP States Produce Results 2007 Report and Executive Summary. This detailed look at initial results from 8 ERPs provides a plain-language explanation of how ERP works.
- ERP Users Guide (PDF) (154 pp, 620K). This document describes the original implementation of ERP in Massachusetts, where mandatory self-certification replaced permits in 3 sectors.
- Roadmap (An Implementer's Guide) (2005). For each phase of ERP, this hyperlinked guide identifies specific steps to take, key questions to ask, stakeholders to engage, and documents and resources to review. Contact EPA for a CD-ROM copy.
- Tool Selection Guide: A Review of Permitting Options for Implementing Area Source Rules (PDF) (68 pp, 359K), Executive Summary (PDF) (11 pp, 95K) and Fact Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 39K) (2009). This guide is intended to help regulators determine what tool, or combination of tools (such as ERP), to use when implementing regulations for area sources under the Clean Air Act.
- Sector Selection Guide (PDF) (2003) (8 pp, 53K). This short document may help regulators identify environmental priorities for which ERP may be a feasible solution.
- ERP Data Management Guide (PDF) (2004) (38 pp, 152K). This guide is intended to help ERP implementers identify and think about their needs for managing ERP data, including information from certification forms and random inspections.
- Guide for ERP Statistics (PDF) (97 pp, 462K) (2003). This detailed guide can help ERP states understand the range of statistical issues that ERP presents and how program decisions can affect the statistical validity of performance measurement.
- Plain-Language Training on ERP Statistics. EPA's hands-on ERP statistical training course, "Essential Statistical Training for Effective Program Management," is intended to help new implementers get up to speed quickly.
- States ERP Consortium Guide to Reporting ERP Results. This webpage provides documentation and templates intended to assist ERP states in consistently and effectively reporting ERP results.
- Common Measures Project. This webpage provides detailed documentation and training materials related to the Common Measures Project, which demonstrated how ERP-style statistical approaches can be used to measure the performance of regulated groups across multiple states.
- ERP Performance Analyzer and Users Manual (2009). Developed by several states with EPA support, the Performance Analyzer is an automated storage, analysis and reporting tool for ERP certification and inspection data. Statistical analysis requires separately purchased statistical software. Links coming soon. Contact Suzi Peck of Massachusetts DEP for more information.
- ERP Sample Planner (2007). This user-friendly spreadsheet tool, used in the EPA ERP team's statistical training workshops, helps determine how many random inspections to conduct.
- ERP Results Analyzer (2007, with minor 2009 update). This user-friendly spreadsheet tool, used in the EPA ERP team's statistical training workshops, helps manually calculate statistical results from ERP.
- Documentation of Formulas for Sample Planner and Results Analyzer (PDF) (10 pp, 98K) (2007). This background provides the written formulas used in the Sample Planner and Results Analyzer, for reference as needed.
- EBPI Results Pro (2005). Based on an older version of the ERP Results Analyzer, this spreadsheet can automatically analyze a limited set of results from a single round of ERP inspections.
- The Underground Storage Tank Environmental Results Program (UST ERP) Workbook Wizard is a tool for UST owners and operators to use to comply with an ERP program. It is a self-installing program that asks an UST owner/operator a series of questions about his/her UST facility. It then generates a customized UST ERP workbook containing regulatory information pertinent to the owner/operator's facility. It is based on the Model Underground Storage Tank Environmental Results Program Workbook (EPA 510-R-04-003), published in June 2004.
- Download the UST ERP Workbook Wizard (Zipped Windows installation program, 21.2MB)
Can't find what you're looking for? To find current, state-specific materials, explore the hyperlinks provided at the States & Sectors page. More information on ERP Results (including evaluations of ERP) can be found on the ERP Results page.