Office of Strategic Environmental Management
This page provides links to publications related to NCEI's work. Additional publications about innovations managed in other parts of EPA can be found via the Directory of Innovative Initiatives page and clicking on specific topics.
- Community-Based Environmental Protection
- Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
- Innovations at EPA
- Innovative Piloting
- National Environmental Performance Track
- Public Involvement
- Small Businesses
- Smart Growth
- EPA Partnership Programs
Innovation at EPA
- Innovation Portfolio
- Innovation Strategy
- Innovating for Better Environmental Results: A Strategy to Guide the Next Generation of Innovation at EPA (PDF, 14 pp, 66 KB)
- Innovating for Better Environmental Results: A Report on EPA Progress from the Innovation Action Council April 2004 (PDF, 52 pp, 993 KB)
- Stewardship - Report to the Administrator with Preface (PDF, 25pp, 219 KB)
- Stewardship - Technical Report (PDF, 104 pp, 525 KB)
- Innovation Toolkit for EPA Rulewriters (PDF, 28 pp, 2.6MB)
- Aiming for Excellence: Actions to Encourage Stewardship and Accelerate Environmental Progress (PDF, 70 pp, 1 MB) - The final report of the 1999 Task Force on Innovative Approaches to Environmental Protection (EPA100-R-99-006).
An In-Depth Look at the United Kingdom Integrated Permitting System: Exploring Global Environmental Protection Perspectives
- Report (PDF, 191 pp, 1.01MB)
- Appendices (PDF, 70 pp, 4.73MB)
- The executive summary (PDF, 11 pp, 115K)
Environmental Results Program (ERP)
ERP States Produce Results - 2007 Report. States' Experience Implementing the Environmental Results Program.
- Report (PDF, 1.52 MB, 40 pages)
- Executive Summary (PDF, 437 KB, 6 pages)
- Appendix (PDF, 96K, 17 pages)
State Innovation Grants
State Innovation Grant 2008 Progress Report
Environmental Management Systems (EMS) - Policies, tools, and case studies related to EMS use and development.
- EPA's Position on EMS - EPA supports and promotes the development and use of EMSs, including those based on the ISO 14001 standard (the international standard for EMSs), that help an organization achieve its environmental obligations and broaden environmental performance goals.
- Innovations in Environmental Management, March 2000 (PDF, 16 pp, 4.7 MB) - Helping companies cut costs and improve performance. (EPA100-R-00-019)
Evaluation - Evaluation tools and publications intended to help in designing, focusing and conducting an evaluation.
- Project XL: Encouraging Innovation, Delivering Results, September 2000 (PDF, 12 pp, 1.4 MB) (EPA100-K-00-001)
- Project XL: Directory of Project Experiments and Results, February 2002 - Third annual report on the background and status of 51 Project XL projects.
- For additional information on Project XL publications, visit XL Publications and Guidance
National Environmental Performance Track - Several publications to inform the general public and potential members on how the program operates and promotes environmental excellence.
Public Involvement - Additional public involvement manuals and tools for planning and conducting effective public involvement activities.
Sectors - Industry sector-based programs publications.
Small Businesses - Publications for small business.
Smart Growth - Additional Smart Growth program fact sheets, reports, articles and grant products.
Through Partnership: A Progress Report Through 2000 (PDF, 30 pp,
1 MB) - A booklet describing the cumulative successes of EPA's Partnership Programs, as of December 2000. Through Partners for the Environment,
participants go beyond what is required by environmental regulations
to score real environmental results and improve business performance.
- Boosting Your Bottom
Line - Exactly what can a company expect from becoming a Partner
for the Environment? Along with improving environmental performance,
an opportunity to gain cost savings, public recognition, and technical
- Compliance Screening for EPA Partnership Programs (PDF, 23 pp, 117 KB) - Explains the purpose and uses of compliance screens, identifies specific circumstances in which screening is expected, and helps program managers determine whether they need compliance screens in other situations.