2014 WasteWise Awards
Partner and Endorser awards will be based on data reported in the SMM Data Management System (Partners) or a narrative description of activities (Endorsers). Participants will be evaluated using a weighted average of evaluation criteria as described below. Applicants are also screened for enforcement and other issues. Award applications are due by June 30, 2014.
Partner awards will be given based on data reported. Both "Partner-of-the-Year" and "Honorable Mention" awards will be given in multiple sector-based categories. Award categories are:
BusinessVery Large Business (20,000+ employees)
Large Business (1,000 to 19,999 employees)
Midsize Business (500 to 999 employees)
Small Business (1 to 499 employees)
How to Apply for a Partner Award
To apply for a 2014 WasteWise partner award please email the Helpline at email@example.com or call 800-EPA-WISE (372-9473) for an award application and instructions. Once EPA receives your application for an award, we will begin to evaluate your reported data.
Evaluation Criteria for Partner Awards
EPA will use the partner's 2012 and 2013 reported data as evaluation criteria for 2014 awards. Quantitative results from reported data for waste prevention (WP), recycling (R), and disposal (D) will serve as the key elements for award evaluations. The following weighted criteria will be aggregated and used in evaluating award applications:
Annual Improvement in 2013 (20 percent)
- Percent of incremental improvement of waste diversion (waste prevention + recycling) in 2013 vs 2012
Overall Performance in 2013 (40 percent)
- Percent that waste diversion plays in the overall management of materials
Waste Prevention Performance in 2013 (40 percent)
- Percent that waste prevention plays in overall management of materials
Endorser awards recognize outstanding efforts to promote WasteWise as a means to help organizations reduce waste and promote overall sustainable materials management. An "Endorser-of-the-Year" award will be given. Depending on the number of award applications, an Honorable Mention award may also be given. Endorsers are asked to submit a narrative up to five pages describing their endorser activities during calendar year 2013.
How to Apply for an Endorser AwardTo apply for a 2014 WasteWise endorser award, please email the Helpline at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-EPA-WISE (372-9473) for an award application and instructions.
Evaluation Criteria for Endorser Awards
Evaluation criteria for 2014 endorser awards will remain the same as in past years. WasteWise will evaluate endorser award applications based on a weighted average of the following criteria::
Promotional Activities (50 percent)
- Scope of activities – describe the range of activities conducted in 2013 by your organization to promote WasteWise, including information on the creativity and effectiveness of promotional methods
- Frequency of efforts – describe efforts conducted in 2013 to promote the WasteWise program
Promotional Results (50 percent)
- Quantify the type and number of WasteWise prospective participants that resulted from your promotional efforts in 2013
- Quantify the number of new WasteWise participants joining as a result of your promotional efforts in 2013
- Quantify the number of new or existing WasteWise partners that you assisted with tracking and/or reporting in 2013
If you would like additional information about the 2014 WasteWise awards, please contact the Helpline at email@example.com or 1-800-EPA-WISE (372-9473).