Economic and Operational Feasibility
The tools below will help you examine more closely the potential waste reduction options that passed your initial screening.
Our worksheet will enable you to evaluate the economic feasibility of the waste reduction options under consideration. To input information requested in the "data entry" tab of the worksheet, refer to purchasing records, disposal records, waste sort or facility walk-through data, and interviews with company employees, as well as information recorded on earlier worksheets. Consult company purchasing officials, financial advisors, or department managers as necessary.
Economic Feasibility Spreadsheet
- Excel spreadsheet (24K)
Click to open or right click to download and save to your computer.
It is important to determine the operational feasibility of the waste reduction options under consideration. For each option, use the following questions to identify relevant operational factors:
- Could this option improve or reduce product or service quality?
- Could this option improve or reduce productivity? How?
- Will additional staff or time be required to implement, operate,
or maintain this option? How many? What would additional staff
be required to do?
- Can the option be implemented within the existing facility setup,
or are adjustments needed (such as additional space or a change
in layout) to accommodate the option? If so, what?
- Will any new equipment be needed? If so, what?
- Are companies willing to purchase collected recyclable materials?
- Can reusable materials be donated to a local community group
or listed with a materials exchange? What transportation costs
are associated with these activities?