What's New with WasteWise in 2014?
Since the launch of the new SMM Data Management System, WasteWise has expanded its focus to encourage sustainable materials management, which promotes a more efficient and sustainable use of resources throughout their life cycle. WasteWise will continue to operate much like it has in the past; however there will be an emphasis on goal setting and continuous improvement. Organizations that joined WasteWise in the past are required to meet revised criteria to remain active. The requirements for WasteWise partners and endorsers are made up of two components: reporting data and setting goals.
Requirements for New Partners
As a new partner, you must first complete the following steps:
- Join WasteWise by completing a registration form.
- Once your organization has been approved in the new system, you’ll gain access to your Participation Agreement. You should login and complete this form withn seven days of being approved.
- After your Participation Agreement has been verified, you’ll need to complete your Baseline Data form and set a Baseline Goal to achieve during the remainder of your starting calendar year. Baseline data and goals are due within 90 days of submitting your Participation Agreement.
By March 31 of the next calendar year, you should complete a Partner Annual Data form with data from the calendar year you joined to see whether you achieved your baseline goal. You should also complete a Partner Annual Goal form, setting a goal for your first full year of participation thatís at least a five percent increase over the year you joined. By March 31 of every following year, you should report annual totals from the previous year and set a self-directed quantitative goal for the upcoming year.
Requirements for Existing Partners
To remain an active participant in WasteWise, partners must complete the following steps each year:
- Submit annual data in the SMM data management system by March 31st of each year.
- Establish an annual goal for a self-directed increase in waste diverted (a combination of waste prevention, recycling, and composting tonnage) as compared to the previous year.
Starting in 2014, these annual goals are a required part of the annual data submission process. All partners will need to set a self-directed, quantitative goal for continuous improvement through their 2014 Annual Goal form by May 31st. The goal can be for an increase in a single activity or across all division activities.
Requirements for Endorsers
Endorsers should advance the mission of WasteWise through recruitment, education, marketing and outreach. Starting in 2014, all existing endorsers will complete a 2013 Endorsers Annual Data form via the new SMM Data Management System quantifying their endorser activities and a 2013 Endorser Annual Goal form setting activity goals for the upcoming year. Any new endorsers who join during or after 2014 will set their Endorser First Year goals and then report activities following their first full year of participation and set new goals.
Additional Information for Partners and Endorsers
For any questions or assistance regarding WasteWise requirements, please contact the WasteWise Helpline at (800) EPA-WISE or email@example.com.