US Recycling Economic Information Project
The US Recycling Economic Information (REI) Study is an unprecedented national study that demonstrates the importance of recycling and reuse to the US economy. The study, commissioned by the US Environmental Protection Agency and numerous states through a cooperative agreement with the National Recycling Coalition, clearly shows what many have known for a long timethat Recycling is Working.
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- National Recycling Coalition
- California Integrated Waste Management Board
- Delaware Economic Development Office
- Empire State Development (New York)
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs
- Indiana Department of Commerce
- Massachusetts Department of Economic Development
- Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance
- Missouri Environmental Improvement and Energy Resources Authority
- Nebraska Department of Economic Development
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
- Northeast Recycling Council
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- Recycle Iowa (an initiative of the Iowa Department of Economic Development)
- Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
EPA conducted an evaluation of the REI study's methodology (PDF) (8 pp, 70K, about PDF) and the feasibility of a future REI study. To learn more about the study, including its key findings and ongoing outreach activities, use the links below.
- About the REI Study
Describes the REI project, including its overall goals and methodology.
Summarizes the key findings of the REI study with supporting tables and charts.
- National REI Fact Sheet (PDF) (4 pp, 52K, about PDF)
Presents the key findings of the groundbreaking study in an easy-to-read format with supporting charts and data tables.
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) (3 pp, 50K, about PDF)
A product of the National Recycling Coalition that answers common questions about the national REI Study.
- State REI Efforts
Provides a snapshot of states' efforts to use the REI methodology to determine recycling's economic impact and conduct state and regional outreach.