Timeline for Planning Recycling Programs at Special Events
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
2-4 Months Before
- Nominate a recycling coordinator.
- Appoint a volunteer coordinator. This person will be responsible for recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Consider the types of waste that will be generated and the types of recyclables that will be collected.
- Determine the bin types and arrange for rental or purchase if needed.
- Determine where the bins will be placed and the number of bins needed.
- Decide whether a hauler is needed or if you will transport the recyclables yourself.
- Begin promotion activities and mention recycling on tickets and in fliers.
- Arrange for volunteers if necessary.
- Meet with vendors and discuss recycling at the event.
1 Month Before
- Draw up a site plan.
- Designate a location for storing the recyclables until the end of the event and how to label each type.
- Plan the first meeting with volunteers.
- Strategize, devise signage, and develop advertisement and education.
- Conduct the first meeting with volunteers.
2 Weeks Before
- Issue a press release about the recycling program for the upcoming event.
- Finalize the site plan and delegate responsibilities.
- Assign shifts to volunteers.
- Ensure the availability of replacement bags for collection bins.
1 Week 1 Day Before
- Set up venue with signage and collection bins.
- Designate check-in area.
During the Event
- Deploy staff or volunteers in shifts.
- Monitor bins, emptying when necessary.
- Make sure signage stays in place.
- Collect recyclables from vendors.
- Promote recycling.
- Keep extra bins available that can be placed in high traffic areas.
- Clean the bins to keep insects, rodents, and other pests away.
- Make sure that hauler collects all recyclables, or drop them off yourself.
- Collect and return bins.
- Complete final sorting if necessary.
- Clean site.
- Determine the amount (by weight) of recyclables collected.
- Issue another press release about the success of the event.
- Document what worked and what didnt for future events.
- Evaluate the program with input from the volunteers and vendors.
- Consider collecting additional materials at the next event.