While the ultimate goal of the RCRA Corrective Action Program is to achieve final cleanups, we are measuring the intermediate success of the program against our GPRA goals. The program is monitoring intermediate progress by tracking two Environmental Indicators (EIs), the human exposure and groundwater EIs, which are the main focus of the corrective action GPRA goals. These indicators measure progress in environmental terms rather than the administrative process steps that were previously monitored. Measuring and recording our progress toward these goals will be a top priority for EPA and the States over the next several years.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EI FAQs
- EI guidance (PDF) (17 pp, 52K) issued in February 1999; includes EI forms, flow charts and a memo signed by Elizabeth Cotsworth, former Office Director, Office of Solid Waste (name changed to Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery on January 18, 2009).
- EPA Spotlights Companies Pledging to Meet Corrective Action Environmental Indicators, October 14, 2003 (PDF) (1 pg, 21K)
- EPA Memo to RCRA Senior Policy Advisors Concerning Office of Inspector General Recommendations Pertaining to RCRA Corrective Action Environmental Indicators (September 25, 2002) (PDF) (2 pp, 18K)
- OSWER Draft Guidance for Evaluating the Vapor Intrusion to Indoor Air Pathway from Groundwater and Soils (Subsurface Vapor Intrusion Guidance November 29, 2002)
- RCRA Draft Supplemental Guidance for Evaluating the Vapor Intrusion to Indoor Air Pathway (Vapor Intrusion Guidance December 2001)
- Environmental Indicator Forum 2000 (presentation slides and audio available)
- Sample Environmental Indicator Determinations
- NY6276HG (PDF) (26 pp, 65K)
- NY6276HG (updated CA725 form) (PDF) (28 pp, 62K)
NY6276HG (updated CA725 tables) (PDF) (12 pp, 2.0MB)
- NY6214HG (PDF) (16 pp, 2.0MB)
- Workshop Case Study (PDF) (19 pp, 48K)
- EI Training Slides