Hazardous Waste Treatment TechnologiesThis page is dedicated to hazardous waste treatment technology documents. If you are applying a treatment technology to meet LDR waste treatment standards and you....
- need assistance with waste analysis, test methods, QA/QC procedures,
or treatability variances, try these topics:
- want to know more about technologies EPA used to establish LDR treatment
standards, or how EPA developed quality analysis/quality control procedures,
try the Technology Background Documents
- want to find out what questions people often ask when implementing the LDRs, try Frequent Questions section.
- The Waste Analysis at Facilities that Generate, Treat, Store and Dispose of Hazardous Wastes: A Guidance Manual (PDF) (200 pp, 1.4MB, About PDF) assists facility owners and operaters, as well as other facility personnel, prepare waste analysis plans (WAPs) and conduct waste analyses. This manual is designed for all facility personnel regardless of their level of experience in environmental compliance issues.
- Center for Environmental
Research is an EPA web site that offers publications and
frequently asked questions.
- EPA's Office of Water publishes
laboratory analytical methods that are used by industries and municipalities
to analyze the chemical and biological components of wastewater, drinking
water, sediment, and other environmental samples that are required by
EPA regulations under the authority of the Clean Water Act and the Safe
Drinking Water Act. Almost all of these methods are published by EPA
as regulations at Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
- The LDR Resources web page includes chemistry databases and waste handler databases that may help you locate additional background information.
- SW-846 Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste, Physical/Chemical Methods is EPAs official compendium of analytical and sampling methods that have been evaluated and approved for use in complying with the RCRA regulations
- The Methods Information Communication Exchange (MICE) Service provides timely answers to method-related questions and takes comments on technical issues regarding the EPA methods manual known as Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste: Physical/Chemical Methods (SW-846).
- The Index to EPA Test Methods allows you to specifically search for information on test methods. This might be a good place to start if you want easy access to many different resources offered by EPA.
- The Guidebook for Quality Assurance/Quality Control Procedures for Submission of Data for the Land Disposal Restrictions Program (PDF) (58 pp, 4.0MBK, About PDF) explains how to generate data which characterizes the performance of hazardous waste treatment systems in terms of the composition of treated hazardous waste streams plus treatment system operation and design.
- EPAs Region 10 provides Quality Assurance (QA) References that include national QA guidance and requirements documents.
- The Variance Assistance Document: Land Disposal Restrictions Treatability Variances and Determinations of Equivalent Treatment (PDF) (18 pp, 37K, About PDF) assists petitioners submit complete applications for either a determination of equivalent treatment or a treatability variance. This document explains these tools and discusses cases where they can be applied. It also details EPAs requirements for each type of petition and provides an overview of EPAs petition review process.
- If you would like to view an example of a recently-finalized treatability variance, check out the selenium treatability variance.
- The Treatment Technology Background Document (PDF) (274 pp, 19MB, About PDF - very large file; be patient) provides a discussion of the treatment technologies applicable to wastes that are subject to LDRs. The technologies discussed in this document are demonstrated (commercially available) and have been proven to substantially diminish the toxicity of hazardous constituents and/or reduce the likelihood of migration of constituents present in hazardous waste. Treatment performance data from technologies discussed in this document were the basis for the LDR treatment standards.
- If you want to learn more about LDR state authorization issues, try
our Contacts page.
This section includes questions and answers that apply to RCRA generally as well as specifically to the LDRs.
- Test Methods Frequent Questions - The Waste Methods team has compiled a list of FAQs that are addressed by the Methods Information Communication Exchange (MICE) Service.