Planning Environmentally Aware Events
Imagine that you are attending a workshop...
- You arrive by public transportation.
- The hotel reminds you to turn off the lights in your room to conserve energy.
- Workshop materials are printed double-sided with soy- or vegetable-based inks.
- As a name tag, you wear your own business card inserted in a reusable name tag holder, which is collected as you leave.
- Coffee is served in reusable mugs embossed with the workshop name and sponsors.
- Sugar and cream are served from a covered sugar bowl and a small chilled creamer.
- Bite-sized breakfast snacks and fresh fruit are served on small reusable plates, and you are even asked to throw your discarded food items in a worm composting bin. **
This workshop actually took place in April 1992, in Montgomery County, Maryland. EPA, the U.S. Conference of Mayors, and the Montgomery County Department of Environment invited approximately 50 state and local waste management specialists to attend a workshop on waste prevention. The meeting planners went to great lengths to conserve materials and reduce waste.
The key to planning such an environmentally aware meeting or event is to set environmental priorities early in event planning and incorporate them into as many facets of the event as possible.
EPA has prepared this guide to help meeting and event planners reduce the amount of municipal solid waste generated by their meeting or event. This guide outlines the key steps in planning and conducting an environmentally aware event, profiles a variety of meetings and events, and provides a checklist that can be used as a planning tool.
** Note: (It is important to address public health when planning a food-service component to your environmentally aware meeting or event. Local health departments are able to provide advice and guidance on safe and proper handling of food and drink.)
Its Easy Being Green:
A Guide to Planning and Conducting Environmentally Aware Meetings and
Events (PDF) (12 pp, 303 K, About PDF) || ASCII Text Version (10 pp, 20 K) ||
Español (PDF) (12 pp, 317 K, About PDF)
EPA's One-Stop Information Source for Green Meetings