Solid Waste and Emergency Response
Action 4 – Pilot Methods of Engaging Communities in OSWER Regulation and Guidance Development
Public Review Opportunities
Provide your feedback on the CEI
EPA is seeking ways, beyond traditional outreach practices, to proactively engage communities during the development of regulations and guidance, especially including environmental justice and at-risk communities.
a) Regulation Development Pilot
The Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR) will use the ongoing re-evaluation of the Definition of Solid Waste Final Rule as a pilot to explore methods of effectively engaging communities in national rulemaking. Under this effort, OSWER will develop a methodology for and conduct an environmental justice analysis that supports the Definition of Solid Waste rulemaking effort. This effort will:
- Conduct public roundtable meetings to solicit input.
- Provide update to stakeholders on the progress of developing the Definition of Solid Waste environmental justice analysis and framework.
- Evaluate community engagement activities used in other ongoing rulemaking actions.
- Initiate a multi-stakeholder national dialogue to solicit input.
- Develop process for national dialogue and develop and present lessons learned from engagement efforts utilized in rulemaking activities above.
b) Guidance Development Pilot
The Office of Policy and Management (OPM) will conduct community engagement activities to support the development of its final Subsurface Vapor Intrusion Guidance. This pilot will:
- Coordinate with ORCR to provide status update of the vapor intrusion pilot at the multi-stakeholder national dialogue referenced with the Regulation Development Pilot.
- Conduct public listening sessions in communities impacted by vapor intrusion to solicit input.
- Hold a public meeting and solicit written public comments from stakeholders.
- Use Internet sites and other communication tools to update stakeholders.