Solid Waste and Emergency Response
Action 7 – Evaluate and Improve EPA Technical Assistance Processes
Public Review Opportunities
Provide your feedback on the CEI
- Draft Recommendations Report – Technical Assistance (PDF), (15 pp, 120K, about PDF)
- Draft Recommendations Report – Technical Assistance Fact Sheet (PDF), (1 pg, 341K, about PDF)
- Draft Recommendations Report – General Review Process (PDF), (1 pg, 132K, about PDF)
- Draft Technical Assistance Opportunities Matrix (PDF) (4 pp, 370K, about PDF)
- Action 7 Update Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 314K, about PDF)
- More Action 7 Materials
Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (OSWER) programs offer a variety of technical assistance to communities and stakeholders to help them more effectively participate in decision-making processes. The Center for Program Analysis (CPA), Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation (OSRTI), and Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA) will be the leads on this Action.
To maximize the use of currently available technical assistance and determine how assistance can be improved for communities and tribes, OSWER will evaluate technical assistance processes, identify gaps and needs, and develop a strategy to address those gaps and needs. OSWER will form a national workgroup to develop the strategy, which will be posted for public review, to include recommendations for revising and better coordinating technical assistance processes, policies, and guidance. The strategy may include ways to:
- Maximize and expand communities' access to and use of technical assistance and involve local, cultural institutions to determine how assistance can be improved for environmental justice and disadvantaged communities and tribes.
- Evaluate technical assistance processes, identify gaps and needs, and develop a strategy to address those gaps and needs.
- Promote OSWER’s technical assistance capabilities through tools such as a brochure containing a matrix that identifies each OSWER technical assistance mechanism, and the limits and capabilities of each.
- Improve coordination and promotion of all technical assistance activities within OSWER and EPA Regions.
- Convene meetings of mid-level Headquarters (HQ) and Regional managers to facilitate periodic cross-programmatic discussions of OSWER’s technical assistance programs including opportunities to identify and resolve technical assistance issues and problems.